TTC

david bowen

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Ted knew his Vincent's PCV right hand man from 1931 to 1953, George, the Tester! became George the famous Vincent racer and world record holder

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Thanks Simon......

How many TTR's were made. I have heard many different amounts...

Robert

Robert,
Your question lead me to have a good look at the pre war records. Most Comet Specials had a TTC engine prefix, but three had TTR prefix but are still called Comet Specials on the works order form so I have revised the numbers slightly to Comet Specials 36 made.

The TTR bikes are difficult to count as some of the early works race bikes in 1935 & 1936 were TT and not TTR, but later works race bikes were TTR prefix. Also some of the bikes were rebuilt with new engines for the next years racing so bits get swapped around. Also one bike has a TTC engine prefix but is listed as a TT Replica as the model on the works order form.

So using the the model name on the works order form and not the engine prefix it works out at:
Comet Specials: 36
TT bikes (not replicas): 8
TT Replicas: 39

Simon

Clay

Non-VOC Member
As you're looking at numbers, do you know the number of plain old Meteors and Comets made. I read that there were 444 Comets but would that include the Specials, TT's & TT Replicas?

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
As you're looking at numbers, do you know the number of plain old Meteors and Comets made. I read that there were 444 Comets but would that include the Specials, TT's & TT Replicas?
Again for various reasons its not that easy to accurately work out. This does not include specials, TTR etc:

Comets = 443
Meteor = 232

G

Graham Smith

So it could be argued that the poor man's Meteor is now the more desirable of the two models?!

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
So it could be argued that the poor man's Meteor is now the more desirable of the two models?!
Most owners go for the Comet as they like the maroon & stainless tank, but approx 30 Meteors were also fitted with maroon & stainless. There was also 3 Meteors fitted with a dark blue & stainless tank. Maybe thats were the fabled blue Vincent's came from.

Simon

Albervin

VOC Member
My "A" Comet had TT guards, 4X cam, 120 mph speedo, 8 day clock, XBAPH gearbox, pillion seat and no knee pads on the ss tank. It was made in 1938 when there were no TTCs made and cost well North of what a 1937 TTC sold for. Obviously people still wanted a fast 500.

mercurycrest

VOC Member
My "A" Comet had TT guards, 4X cam, 120 mph speedo, 8 day clock, XBAPH gearbox, pillion seat and no knee pads on the ss tank. It was made in 1938 when there were no TTCs made and cost well North of what a 1937 TTC sold for. Obviously people still wanted a fast 500.
My Comet (Order # 133) didn't have the clock, nor the TT guards, but it does have knee pads plus the 4X cam etc.. Could it have been a "Stealth TT"? :rolleyes: