Imagine the carb 10TT9.
Stub internal dia. 35.98 mm.
I guess to avoid grinding in an orginal tank for the carb s air inlet,
Will surch for an Indian one.

Last edited:

timetraveller

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Vincent, the shape that you show is more or less the same as the bare castings from which I supply either the bronze of aluminium manifolds. That shape was adopted so that manifolds could be made to fit either clip fitting, flange fitting or rubber tube mounted carbs by machining the outer end to fit. It was intended that the final length and shape should match the original Lightning or Flash carb adaptors from the early 1950s. If there is a need for shorter adaptors to allow the front carb to fit under the petrol tank then those could possibly be machined from the same casting but they would lack the length determined by the Works to optimise performance.

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
You supplied them Norm.
Haha..

I thought one day i get those mikunies off.
And put on that 10tt9.

Ive got for the other side a flange one
Not without trouble to convert to clip.
So will weld up some alu.

Nigel Spaxman

VOC Member
You supplied them Norm.
Haha..

I thought one day i get those mikunies off.
And put on that 10tt9.

Ive got for the other side a flange one
Not without trouble to convert to clip.
So will weld up some alu.
Vincent, you and I must think alike. I have a set of 10TT9 flange fitting that I have saved incase I ever want to get rid of the Mikunis. Allyson says once the bike is running really well then I will change the carbs. so I can fiddle with it for another 6 months. I never have to touch the Mikunis and it starts first kick so maybe I will have to make that conversion soon.

oexing

VOC Member
Vincent,
seeing you this year was just not doable, thanks virus. But if you like, I saved some of my castings for clip mounting carbs , up to 34 mm possible, castings are 40 mm o.d. . I got 32mm Bings for the B Rapides and did my own sandcasting - well , I had many tries till I got some good parts, still learning to deal with defects . The spun bellmouths will only fit the old Bings but any other sizes would be no big headache once you have a core to form the spun sheet alu - well, again after some practising .
To get more space under the B-Rapide tank for the Bings I had to do some cutting and welding, allright, I was not the first to mess around under there so no headaches here . Not much of headaches for me anyway when originality is concerned, my criteria is classic looks according to the time period , so no obviously modern components acceptable for me.

Vic
P1080326.JPG

P1080318.JPG

P1080458.JPG

P1090013.JPG

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
Ha, nice all in all.
Can't wait to get on it.

But first is still this Schaublin lathe, ready end January.

To Nigel.
I guess it must be due to same birthday.
And near to the year as well.

Victor, we will catch up.

Cheers all

Herman-Handlebars

Non-VOC Member
These are bronze manifolds from Norman, mocked up with a 10tt9. Very pleased with them, thanks again Norman

Attachments

• IMG-20201103-WA0071.jpg
    IMG-20201103-WA0071.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 49

oexing

VOC Member
Bronce castings ? They look like brazed up from segments. Why was decided on bronce , alu would be more suitable as bronce is even heavier than steel, 8,9 versus 7,85 factor ? When fabricating an elbow I´d take thinwalled stainless segments for welding up a carb stub, less heat transfer to carb and when bead blasted it looks a bit like nickel plated.

Vic