PR: Proprietary Items TT carb

litnman

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Anyone here experience occasional flooding due to worn needle valve or seat? If so,
how did you deal with it, other than finding new parts. I'm referring to the 14/ series.

litnman

VOC Member
My last setup. Engine not completely run in yet so some changes expected.
Pistons 9:1
Cams Mk II
Slides 5/6
Exhaust pipes 2"
Needle jet 109
Jet needle 10
Main 370
Needle position 4 groves from top
Pilot needle 2 turns out (in-leaner / out-richer)
Idle hole in slide: .093

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I think a lot depends on what ign' you use,
I made a huge mistake using an old Mag' converted to manual advance and retard.

greg brillus

VOC Member
Flooding is or can be an issue with the larger 302 type bowls, not sure if the smaller bowls have the same needles in them, but the clearance between the needle and the housing is very close........I've found they flood easily due to tiny particles of crud in the fuel.........smaller than grains of sand, this will cause the needle to stick in its bore and fuel runs out of the bowls quite badly. The cure at that time was to install some in line filters to catch any contaminants in the fuel.........I think it may have been some left over sand blasting medium that was inside the tank that went unnoticed.........There were no filters on the fuel taps as we used large bore hydraulic taps to flow enough fuel which was methanol. I think from memory the racing type carb's........The cut away number on the slides is in 32 th's of an inch not the usual 1/16" so the cut away number might not be as large as you might think.

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
Thnx, so Mr lithman has 5 or 6 x 1/32 of an inch cutaway.

Makes 5/32= 4mm
Or 6/32= 3/16=4,76mm.

Would this be true?

I've got one with 8 and one with 6.3,
Time to go to the lathe.

greg brillus

VOC Member
Perhaps get some figures on whatever slides/numbers and see if this is the case or if the 1/16th per number applies here as well.........just to be sure........