PR: Proprietary Items TT carb

oexing

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I could not bring myself to ruin the nice shape of the tank just to clear the carb and bellmouth. You can do the intake elbow so the carb sits a bit closer to the cylinder and even the long bellmouth just clears the tank bottom . Sure, you need to get more clearance around the 32 mm Bing carb but the tank bottom line is maintained.

Vic
P1080459.JPG

P1090015.JPG

litnman

VOC Member
TT's will fit under the later tanks with a larger cut away. I did add a slightly thicker rubber spacer at the rear of the tank. It's another problem when you need charging and lightning.
I've done so on a different machine but it's not easy

Attachments

• IMG_2070.JPG
    IMG_2070.JPG
    317.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2071.JPG
    IMG_2071.JPG
    499.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2072.JPG
    IMG_2072.JPG
    457.7 KB · Views: 13

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
For completeness here is the front carb, Norman's manifold is not so easily seen, the carb is tucked up into the tank, I had to extensively rework the tank to accommodate the position but it all worked out. A tank cover hides the as yet unpainted modification. The finished arrangement is good and I guess as representative as you can get to that of a Black Lightning with two front heads fitted? See what it is like on the road, probably will need to change it all back to standard?
View attachment 43809
It should be fine for the road, I used mine like that for years, Wish I had not sold them,
Mine started wetting plugs, I now know all I had to do was weaken the slides,
Which is what I had to do with my other carb's.
Good Luck, Bill.

chrisxball

Forum User
VOC Member
Thanks Bill, did you have the same 32mm TT carbs? One of the things I want to explore is how to make them idle, I have been reliably informed that you can file a notch in the slide to let a bit of air passed when the slides are closed?

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello Chris, Mine were old 1.3/16 th T.T.
Yes I just filed a small groove in the middle ,
Not really a tick over , Just not the dead shut off.
They started super, I just had the plug wetting on all my bikes,
Which had me fooled for some time, I thought it was something else,
My bikes only liked champion N5 or N9y plugs,
Somebody in AUS told us about expensive fancy plugs,
And I always like to try new things , But it dropped me in it on my Special,
Started wetting plugs and then the plug threads went !,
I was not happy.
Good luck, Bill.

Robert Watson

VOC Member
I have a brass 10TT9 on my TTR. The top of the slide has a small hole in it into which is inserted a nail like piece of steel with the head up under the top of the slide and the nail part passing upwards through the top or the carb. this end is threaded with two very small nuts attached. these can be adjusted to hold the slide just at idle and lock in place. That engine with a post war 10:1 piston (A's have a smaller head shape) a 5X cam and no decompressor always starts first kick and will sit and idle all day long.

oexing

VOC Member
Look at the classic Dellorto SSI carbs, they got that slide stop as you described. Simple really, when there is no slide idle stop from below. That Dellorto screw might be suitable for the Amals , or the idea ?

Dellorto stop screw

Vic

Cyborg

VOC Member
Or just drill a hole in the slide? Then change your mind and solder it up. Only the rear was soldered up…. maybe the solder in the front was swallowed by the engine or coughed out onto the ground from a backfire.

01E1BC55-1C0C-4E9A-ACBF-C1F71A1F14B8.jpeg