PR: Proprietary Items TT carb

timetraveller

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Vic, these are castings and are made in either bronze or LM25 (heat treated) as required. The story goes back to when I had an original steel rear adaptor and Andrew Walker (no relation) had a front one. We each wanted a pair and neither wanted to sell to the other. These original components were used as the basis for the design of a pattern to cast the items. I designed the pattern so that it could be machined to give either clip fitting, modern rubber mounted carb fitting or flange fitting depending upon how it was machined. The first two of these options can be obtained from just machining the casting. The flange fitting, as shown in Herman's picture, requires a separated flange to be machined and then welded or brazed to the casting. The flanges can be either bronze or ali to match the rest of the adaptor. The castings have a core to give a 32 mm internal bore but will stand being opened up to at least 34 mm and possibly a bit more. They are also designed so that they can be shortened at the outer end to give more clearance to the rear of the carb.

oexing

VOC Member
So it is a combo of castings plus brazed-on adapters. When looking at last photo, I would not want that length of heavy bronce elbows and carbs at the end. Think about vibrations and all hanging on two studs. It is no advantage to stick the carb at the very end and have those tiny bellmouths. My thinking you can place the carb at the place you find best under the tank and have a long bellmouth instead to have a good length of intake, a better soultion to the purpose. My spun bellmouths are less than 30 grams only, my problem was to save wall thickness at the end, so most stretching of sheet alu near the bottom of the disc. Well, for the Amals you need a threaded bellmouth - different job then.

Vic

timetraveller

VOC Member
Only if it needs a flange. If you look at the photo in #11 you can see Vincent holding up a bare ali casting. All the casting are that shape to start with and are then machined to suit the carburettor type. No flange. no welding. As I wrote earlier, they do not have to be finished off to be as long as the ones in Herman's photo.

Herman-Handlebars

Non-VOC Member
Bronce castings ? They look like brazed up from segments. Why was decided on bronce , alu would be more suitable as bronce is even heavier than steel, 8,9 versus 7,85 factor ? When fabricating an elbow I´d take thinwalled stainless segments for welding up a carb stub, less heat transfer to carb and when bead blasted it looks a bit like nickel plated.

Vic
I can't really say other than I preferred bronze because I think it looks nicer. I don't have any experience with Vincents so will have to solve the associated issues as they may arise I believe they are Lightning replicas cast in alloy or bronze by Norman. Quality castings and strong enough over the length to support the carb and float x

Keith Martin

VOC Member
A kind gentleman from this site supplied these intakes. Cad plated bronze on TT carbs and alloy on MkII Amals. Very nice product.

IMG_6065.jpeg

IMG_5954.jpeg

chrisxball

Forum User
VOC Member
This is what I'm up to, here are 2 clip mount 32mm T10TT9's fitted to my bike using Norman's lovely bronze manifolds. All fits well but I have another 32mm clip mount T10TT with the pilot jet on the other side, i am considering fitting this as an option if or when I change the rear head to a standard one which will then allow the pilot jet to be more accessible. The machine is running well as is and will be on the road soon. Note the LH kickstart and non standard foot peg arrangement.
AMAL 32mm T10TT's.jpg

chrisxball

Forum User
VOC Member
A closer view of the rear carb, you can see Norman's manifold well. Of the three 32mm clip mount TT's I have there was a discrepancy regarding the stub mounting ID. However this has now been resolved as one of the carbs had been subject to a repair and had the mounting rebored slightly o/s. Coutesy of Norman I have manifolds to suit all arrangements. Note, when fitting a 32mm clip mount TT to a correct standard rear head the manifold has to be shortened slightly to avoid the bell mouth fouling the rear frame, or at least that is what i found?
AMAL 32mm TT RR.jpg

chrisxball

Forum User
VOC Member
For completeness here is the front carb, Norman's manifold is not so easily seen, the carb is tucked up into the tank, I had to extensively rework the tank to accommodate the position but it all worked out. A tank cover hides the as yet unpainted modification. The finished arrangement is good and I guess as representative as you can get to that of a Black Lightning with two front heads fitted? See what it is like on the road, probably will need to change it all back to standard?
AMAL 32mm TT FR.jpg