trying to find KOC 166

Derren Bush

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I am trying to find the vincent my dad ownedin the 1960s to early 70s , from the online dvla search they still have a record, but cant tell whether active or sorned as a pile of split parts. It was a late B or early C series 1000cc rapide from 1949 sold in birmingham by the looks of the number plate. it came with brampton forks on it and these were replaced with girdraulics during his ownership before he sold it for a deposit on a house. I did try the £5 vehicle details search from the DVLA but they refused and sent my cheque back stating data protection act. I am actually trying to organise a surprise re union may be too far, but even just a day out on a vincent would be good. Both he and I are avid classic motorcycle riders and if I cannot trace the bike, perhaps a "hired " bike or bikes are available out there. I know these bikes are worth alot to owners, but surely someone might hire them out for the day / weekend for country blasts.????

BlackLightning998

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Some info.....

Derren,

I'll pass your info onto the Vincent Owners Club Machine Researcher to see if the whereabouts of the bike is known. He would be very pleased to get any futher details of the bike that you may have, when sold and to whom, any photo's your Dad may have, that sort of thing to continue to build the club database - of circa 11000 machine made by the factory I think the club knows the wherabouts of about half of them now.

Renting - I'm not aware of anyone who has a Vincent on fleet - there are two Classic Bike Hire guys I know of and neither has a Vincent, not just are they expensive to buy but pretty close to impossible to insure for a hire fleet I am told. You may either need to make do with your Dad having a ride in the sidecar of someones machine - or go the whole hog and buy one. You may be hard pressed to find someone who'll let you have a go on their bike I have to say from experience - they are a pretty personal extension of the individual.

I see you've joined the VOC - so the first thing to do would be make contact with your local VOC section who will meet regularly and, even at this time of year, you may be lucky enough to see a Vincent at one of the Club Nights. I think you are in Lincolnshire so your copy of MPH will show the details of your local section meet - just give the Section Organiser a ring and I'm confident you'll be made welcome. You've also got the contact details of the machine researcher and machine registrar in the front of MPH, although I have sent VF a seperate email with your request in it.

Additionally as a member you'll be made most welcome at the many events around the UK - there will likely be 30 plus Vincents at the Pie and Pint event in Kent tomorrow (Sunday 28th) if you can make it?

They are great bikes - thoroughly recommend them and there are some friendly people in the club. We recently organised a group of bikes to ride up to a retirement home and pay a surprise visit to a 90 year old lady who used to go on touring holidays with her husband on a Comet.

Cheers

Stuart

I am trying to find the vincent my dad ownedin the 1960s to early 70s , from the online dvla search they still have a record, but cant tell whether active or sorned as a pile of split parts. It was a late B or early C series 1000cc rapide from 1949 sold in birmingham by the looks of the number plate. it came with brampton forks on it and these were replaced with girdraulics during his ownership before he sold it for a deposit on a house. I did try the £5 vehicle details search from the DVLA but they refused and sent my cheque back stating data protection act. I am actually trying to organise a surprise re union may be too far, but even just a day out on a vincent would be good. Both he and I are avid classic motorcycle riders and if I cannot trace the bike, perhaps a "hired " bike or bikes are available out there. I know these bikes are worth alot to owners, but surely someone might hire them out for the day / weekend for country blasts.????

Last edited:
G

Graham Smith

Koc 166

Unfortunately we don't know where this machine is, or indeed if it still exists, as it has never been in the Club.

BlackLightning998

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
On "renting" a Vincent....

To continue the theme of "does anyone rent Vincents out" I have just read the January 2009 VMCC magazine, there is an advert on page 85 for Discovery Bike Tours (www.discoverybiketours.com) who say that new for 2009 they are putting their family fleet of 7 Vincents onto the hire list - including a Series A Rapide!!

I don't know any more about them, they are based in Southport according to the advert - may be worth a try if you are still keen to ride a Vincent?

Regards

Stuart