Tribute to Stirling Moss

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I only met him once, my friend owns and rebuilt a rally Sprite that Stirling had competed in. He offered it to Stirling only a few (5?) years ago to use at Goodwood. We were by the car in full race trim when Stirling came up, looked it over said it looked good. He got in the car and banged on the horn, "doesn't work" he said, "no good without a horn, how do I tell the other drivers I need to get past!"
I lived on the Chilterns back in the sixties, Stirling lived down in Tring. He had a sister Pat. I had the Vincent twin with quite good lights at the time (Amazing.) I remember Pat Moss Carlsson used to come up Chesham Vale on the way to Tring late on Saturday night and a couple of times I "accidentally" met her where the street lights ended and raced her up Chesham Vale. I knew that road like the back of my hand. She had a white Sarb two-stroke car I could beat her when the road opened out on the common after the climb but not on the twisty bits. She would toot her horn as I pulled in at home. she passed away about 10 years ago.

Last edited by a moderator: