Tracking down my dads old vincents !

Mullen

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi
I know this is probably a real long shot but if anyone can help I know that you guys and girls in the Vincent Owners Club would be the ones to ask.

V005A.jpgV002A.jpg

My Dad turns 80 this month and 60 years ago when he was in his 20's he was the ultimate Vincent owner. He had a Black Shadow which was his pride and joy, a Black Knight and I believe a Rapide. His name is Michael May and lived in Molesey Surrey.
V012A.jpg
Anyway I thought I'd post a few pictures of his bikes and was wondering if anyone had any info on what happened to them. The reg on the Black Shadow was PPJ965 and another bike was RPH350.

V022A.jpg

As you can see from the photos he had a sidecar put on the Black Shadow. It would be great to hear if anyone knows anything about these bikes as my Dad still talks about them.

V004A.jpg

Cheers

A_HRD

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Just by coincidence, I have a written record of seeing PPJ965 at the UK Annual Rally (Belton House, Grantham) in 1981 with a sidecar attached. The only other thing I can tell you is that the engine number was F10AB/1B/71** (so 1951 manufactured) and the indicated mileage was 14,923. Many Vincents have gone abroad since that time and the Reg Number has been 'lost', so hopefully if someone has a Shadow abroad with an engine number close to the above, then just maybe they will contact you...

Peter B
Bristol, UK.

Mullen

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Thanks

Thanks for the info Peter, much appreciated. I know that my Dad brought his Black Shadow from Commerfords in Thames Ditton around 1953/4 for £365. It was a year old and he paid £100 for the Steib sidecar which he tells me was the Rolls Royce of sidecars in its day.

Just by coincidence, I have a written record of seeing PPJ965 at the UK Annual Rally (Belton House, Grantham) in 1981 with a sidecar attached. The only other thing I can tell you is that the engine number was F10AB/1B/71** (so 1951 manufactured) and the indicated mileage was 14,923. Many Vincents have gone abroad since that time and the Reg Number has been 'lost', so hopefully if someone has a Shadow abroad with an engine number close to the above, then just maybe they will contact you...

Peter B
Bristol, UK.