Tracking down a family bike

BenelliGuy

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I had heard rumours in my family of a someone owning a Vincent, and not knowing where it had gone, or any real details about it.

Unfortunately my grandfather passed a fortnight ago, but, we found a picture of the Vincent that he had. I was really hoping I would be able to track it down, and hopefully see it.
I have a photo here and the Registration is PFC 594

Any help would be hugely appreciated!
IMG_2486.JPG

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Hello BenelliGuy
PFC 594 is currently owned by a VOC member in USA. Look in your inbox at the right top of the forum page as I will send you a private message. If you respond to that message and include your email address I will forward it to the current owner so they can contact you. Please don't post you email address on the public access part here.
Simon
Machine Registrar

Last edited:

stevee

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi
I now own the bike which I have recently restored - DavidD kindly posted a picture of it when it won best in class at the Boca Concours - I will get in touch but meanwhile here is what it looks like now. It seems that when owned by your grandfather it had Girdraulic forks, a magneto cover and sidestands, a concentric carb, and a Lucas rear light fitted

Attachments

• IMG_2325.jpg
    IMG_2325.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 108
  • IMG_2326.jpg
    IMG_2326.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 102

greg brillus

VOC Member
Steve, Did you make up that front stand yourself.....?......It looks very much like the ones on the "A"'s ..........Greg.

Albervin

VOC Member
Greg, I think the Meteor stands were probably either based on the Series A ones or maybe even identical.

G

Graham Smith

Nice one @stevee What a great photo to have as part of your bike’s history.

The prefix registration PFC must’ve been pretty popular for Meteors because my Meteor is PFC24 and I’ve seen a number of other PFC Meteors.

Maybe Simon @vin998 can tell us the story?!

G

Graham Smith

It looks very much like the ones on the "A"'s

The post war Meteor front stands are identical to the pre-war ones (although I also put post war Comet front stands on mine too because I’m lazy!).

I also put a mag cowl on, because it’s the bike I prefer to ride when it’s raining.

If I had to sell all my bikes except one, my Series B Meteor would be the one that I keep. I love it!

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Nice one @stevee What a great photo to have as part of your bike’s history.

The prefix registration PFC must’ve been pretty popular for Meteors because my Meteor is PFC24 and I’ve seen a number of other PFC Meteors.

Maybe Simon @vin998 can tell us the story?!
PFC is an Oxford registration and they were issued in 1950.
Oxford had two Vincent dealers who were Avery and Kings. Avery took 23 Vincent's but appeared to stop been a dealer around March 1949. Kings though was one of the biggest dealers of Vincent's in the UK. They had branches in Oxford, Manchester and Birmingham. Across all 3 locations Kings took at least 900 Vincent's. Their Oxford branch taking just over 400 Vincent's.
Looking at the series B Meteors there was 126 made. Of these 106 were sold in the UK. Kings Oxford took 21 Meteors and of those 15 had PFC registrations.
Date wise (not engine number order) the last 11 Meteors all went to Kings Oxford in May 1950 and as PFC was was the Oxford registration been used at the time that explains why PFC is common on Meteors. Why Kings took all the last Meteors I don't know. Maybe Vincent did a deal with them to take all the last Meteors so the factory could just concentrate on the Comet.

Simon