TPV Billet Frame Cafe Racer, Simon Leake 2019

Monkeypants

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Very nice looking machine.

The article mentions that it is 1200cc. They have used the Terry Prince 92 mm top ends and a standard stroke crank. The output given is 115 HP with 11 to ones and 90 HP with 9 to ones that they are using.
A compression increase from 9 to one to 11 to one on its own wouldn't give that size of power increase, according to all that I have read on that subject. The effect of CR raises alone is well documented with dynomometer testing.
The Wallace Racing CR calculator says that a 90 HP nine to 1 engine will produce 91.95 HP at 11 to one, no other changes.
To obtain the 25 HP output increase mentioned, your Friday night changeover wouldn't be limited to changing the pistons. There would be a new cam going in, probably bigger carbs and a change in ignition timing.
If I was doing the work and really hurrying, the bike would be all ready to go by Monday morning when it was time to change back to the 9 to one setup! So I think that makes a great story but is unlikely to occur.
But I doubt the bike will get ever used in that way. It is likely more of what Terry P refers to as one of his " Coffee Shop Racers". This differs from a cafe racer.
He explained that a lot of his customers want a machine to cruise down to the local coffee shop with, then display to friends and admirers.
And it displays very well!
I think they are missing a lot of fun with the docile setup in there.
My Special is at 10.8 to one with the MK5 cams, 41 mm Dellortos, Pazon racing ignition etc, and it's still really quite tractible when it needs to be.

On edit- I see the bike is e start. It could be that the lower Cr. was needed to allow the estart to work.
At 10.8 or 11 to one these TP engines with the large squish band are extremely difficult to roll over. On the other hand, at 9 to one it's doubtful that the squish is even in effect. At clearances above 60 thou it doesn't do it's job. I didn't really want 10.8 but had to go there to get the squish at 40 thou.
It all works, no ping.

Glen

Last edited:

Little Honda

Non-VOC Member
Very nice looking machine.

The article mentions that it is 1200cc. They have used the Terry Prince 92 mm top ends and a standard stroke crank. The output given is 115 HP with 11 to ones and 90 HP with 9 to ones that they are using.
A compression increase from 9 to one to 11 to one on its own wouldn't give that size of power increase, according to all that I have read on that subject. The effect of CR raises alone is well documented with dynomometer testing.
The Wallace Racing CR calculator says that a 90 HP nine to 1 engine will produce 91.95 HP at 11 to one, no other changes.
To obtain the 25 HP output increase mentioned, your Friday night changeover wouldn't be limited to changing the pistons. There would be a new cam going in, probably bigger carbs and a change in ignition timing.
If I was doing the work and really hurrying, the bike would be all ready to go by Monday morning when it was time to change back to the 9 to one setup! So I think that makes a great story but is unlikely to occur.
But I doubt the bike will get ever used in that way. It is likely more of what Terry P refers to as one of his " Coffee Shop Racers". This differs from a cafe racer.
He explained that a lot of his customers want a machine to cruise down to the local coffee shop with, then display to friends and admirers.
And it displays very well!
I think they are missing a lot of fun with the docile setup in there.
My Special is at 10.8 to one with the MK5 cams, 41 mm Dellortos, Pazon racing ignition etc, and it's still really quite tractible when it needs to be.

On edit- I see the bike is e start. It could be that the lower Cr. was needed to allow the estart to work.
At 10.8 or 11 to one these TP engines with the large squish band are extremely difficult to roll over. On the other hand, at 9 to one it's doubtful that the squish is even in effect. At clearances above 60 thou it doesn't do it's job. I didn't really want 10.8 but had to go there to get the squish at 40 thou.
It all works, no ping.

Glen
just like Sean Connery in "Red October": "send one PING!"

Simon Leake

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
It's just a bit of fun really. Don't get stressed. Just to show that the great name "Vincent" is still alive and kicking. If you want transport, get a Honda C110, or maybe a Vespa. But there is no doubt in the world that the Vincent V twin engine is possible the most beautiful ever made by the hands of men.

Attachments

• Fishy Vincent.pdf
    120.9 KB · Views: 108

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
What's wrapped around that engine looks awfully nice too, Simon. Very well done!
I'm determined to get my Special out there and graduate it from coffee shop racer status into full cafe racerhood this year.
The odometer is starting to show some miles (9,000) so it might qualify soon.

Glen

Simon Leake

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Thanks mate. I wanted to preserve the organic rounded classical curves which the Egli frame really jars with in my aesthetic so the exhaust and subframe are all "curvy" and show the timing chest. EFI is magic and it is sufficiently tuned to run in a bit. Sounds amazing. Next step is to get club plates and a photo shoot. A couple of mags are interested so keep your eyes out this year. I don't know the horsepower but as soon as we run it in a bit we will get it on the Dyno for top end tuning and find out! Next project is a Comet with one of the last sets of cases Terry has before he retires completely. Just waiting on the TT gearbox from NZ.

litnman

VOC Member
Is the front brake master cylinder a permanent fixture??

Last edited by a moderator:

Simon Leake

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
It was the smallest miniature we could find and my idea was to match a bit of the gold bling on the throttle bodies etc from the left side but you are not the first to point this out mate. I dont know if it can be mounted somewhere else, inside the fairing maybe but thought they always have to be at the highest point. If not, glad to learn.

Simon Leake

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
OK everyone. I'll try to answer all your questions. There is no Mercury scroll but I have just ordered one from VOC parts. I am thinking of spraying all the (cursed) alloy in this new "ceramic" coating everyone talks about but Dutchy from Wollongong did a great job on the paintwork. It is 1200cc using TPV top ends but tuned down. My intension is not to race it but some future owner could tune it up again, hence the good story. We did increase the gap between the tyre and the mudguard, you were right, even little stones got caught. It's still a virgin, running but not yet ridden. I was going to ride it tonight but there's bushfires and it's currently 41 degC. I guess the oil will already be thin!! Terry Prince has been through Hell. 6 weeks of constant bushfire danger. He's safe now and back at work on several engines but needs your help. Spread the word about his absolutely incredible alloy billet frame. It's the greatest Vincent innovation since 1954, Egli included. And way better than the materials Phil had to work with in the aftermath of the greatest war the world has ever seen.

vibrac

VOC Member
It was the smallest miniature we could find and my idea was to match a bit of the gold bling on the throttle bodies etc from the left side but you are not the first to point this out mate. I dont know if it can be mounted somewhere else, inside the fairing maybe but thought they always have to be at the highest point. If not, glad to learn.
It doesn't have to be a proprietary item so long as its out of appropriate material I have seen a 3" length of plugged petrol hose for a reservior on rear brakes on racers I dont suggest thats the way but with a bit of ingenuity, a lathe and mill....