Touring Comet Colour

MikeC

Active Forum User
VOC Member
I am starting the restoration of C Touring Comet. I saw in JPB book, page 50, that some Touring model Rapides were Chinese Red (mostly export). Does anyone know if this also applies to Comets?
Thanks.

davidd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Mike,

I think that 17 Comets were painted red from the Factory. They were not necessarily touring bikes as mine had aluminum mudguards and straight bars with 20" and 19" tires. Many of these bikes came into Canada. There is a photo of Phil Vincent at the New York show with a red Comet and a white seat that was on the Indian show stand. I suspect Indian changed the seat cover for the show.

mercurycrest

VOC Member
One of our section members has one of the 16 Red Comets. He had a careful analysation of the color and it turned out to be actually called "Chinese Red", It's the official color of China's Flag, etc..

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Were any Comets red and black, ie, just the petrol tank and touring guards red, the rest black, like a number of the Red Rapides were?

davidd

VOC Member
Were any Comets red and black, ie, just the petrol tank and touring guards red, the rest black, like a number of the Red Rapides were?

Steve,

I have not seen it. The work orders from the Factory usually say "Red/Black" on those twins that are done up that way so there is no confusion. But, I have only seen a few work orders written that way so it is a small sample. Justin MacKay rode his to the Bismark rally.

David

mercurycrest

VOC Member
Ted's isn't a "tourer".
2011_preschoice.jpg

davidd

VOC Member
This is a black and white photo, but it is quite interesting. I would have said this is the bike off the Indian show stand. Looks like a transition model. The wheels do not appear to be painted. It must be fairly close to the year of manufacture because of the other vehicles.

Red Rapide White Seat.JPG

David

Somer

VOC Member
There were several batches. Around engines in the 4400 range, they had Vincent embossed crank cases and "plain" timing covers/ inspection caps. The earlier ones with "transition'' cases typically had a Vincent timing cover.