HB: Handlebars Touring bars?

Nigel Spaxman

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I find the Vincent with the flat bars has a perfect riding position. It is a very comfortable bike to ride all day long, and that is very important. The seat is quite close to the bars and I think that is why even though the bars are quite low it is really comfortable. I have no reason to change anything. Maybe it is people with shorter arms that like the Touring bars? Still the touring bars are not like ape hangers or anything like that. Probably they are really comfortable also.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
I was very comfortable on my BMW with the low RS bars for decades, but when my 39 year younger, same height son took it over, he didn't like it and put on the higher R90S Europa bars. My straight bars on the Rap are very comfortable to me now, but we shall see how it goes!

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
The other thing with being a bit tall and touring bars, I need some sort of small screen,
I remember taking the screen off my K100 BMW,= Not nice, When younger you can hang on !,
But not now :D .

Andy H

Forum User
VOC Member
Probably made from a Vibrac con-rod! perfect for touring bars ! Done by top Boston surgeon while in Bermuda . At the time I was in pain 24/7 and could not raise arm above shoulder. 2 hr op. Best B & Q screws ? Had bad tear in Supra spinatus tendon which can be repaired if done quickly otherwise it shrinks and atrophies, but as surgeon said trying to attach tendons to bone is like sewing blotting paper with stainless wire. Not easy.

Attachments

• shoulder parts.jpg
    shoulder parts.jpg
    231.1 KB · Views: 62

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
This might help, side by side flat bars and touring bars, plus a closer shot of the touring bars. Click the thumbnails for larger images. My Touring Comet was not equipped as a Touring model from the factory. The handlebars, though, are ones my father had in the garage since the 1950's. He did not remember where he obtained them. My rough eyeball measurement indicates the rise of the touring bars is about 2.5 inches.

bars1.JPG
bars2.JPG

Gary Gittleson

VOC Member
Yes, that is helpful. I ordered the one mentioned by David D. We'll see if it helps. Thanks for the picture. Nice bikes too (of course).

I always liked the idea of flat bars. My aging body doesn't agree.

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Here is a new open D, back in the day when the first Series D models arrived at the dealer my father bought his Series C Shadow from. Whether the touring bars were fitted at the factory, or by the dealer, I don’t know.

View media item 5233