Tour of Le Mans In D Type Jaguar

davidd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
An interesting in car video of one lap in 1956. Mike Hawthorn raced the year before when the Mercedes crashed killing 83 people. The crash happened as Hawthorn was slowing to go into the pits. It is interesting to see that practice was conducted with the roads open to the public.

David

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
Nice one david. A few years ago I got the chance to drive a "D", was going about 110 on a dual carriage way with a side wind, my thoughts went- if Moss and hawthorne went 180 in this peice of junk , they really were "good old boys"

davidd

VOC Member
Roy,

Glad you liked it. What a great opportunity for you and I can just imagine how it felt!

David

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
David, Bill Lomas, the Moto Guzzi rider, summed it up by saying " when I did 183 down the appian way on the v8, it felt like i was riding down a country lane". It belonged to a customer I was glad to give it back and get paid to mend it. If I never get to drive another it will be too soon!

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
Another good one Davidd. I had to smile though when I saw the equipment and microphone. Today it would have been done with a Sony Handi and a little clip on mic or a couple of Go-Pro Hero cameras or similar.
Keep them coming.
Steven

vibrac

VOC Member
Another good one Davidd. I had to smile though when I saw the equipment and microphone. Today it would have been done with a Sony Handi and a little clip on mic or a couple of Go-Pro Hero cameras or similar.
Keep them coming.
Steven

When you can smile at technology you know there has been progress-they smile at my 1925 Douglas-they dont smile at the alphabet twin...yet