H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres Torque setting for rear hubs.....

Bowsh

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi All,

Can anyone please tell me what I should be tightening my rear hub to? Rapide series C.

Thanks

Paul

Bowsh

Non-VOC Member
The question, is about E80. Do I nip it by feel or does anyone have a torque figure?

Bowsh

Non-VOC Member
never used a torque wrench in the 50 +years of owning my shadow. its done by feel.
I’ve not been fortunate enough to own a Vincent for 50+ years. I’ve had mine for 6 months and it’s a very steep learning curve:)

vibrac

VOC Member
There are NO torque figures for the Vincent with the possible exception of the head nuts and since that is not official it ranges between 30 and 32 ft lbs.(70 years ago Newton was just an observer of apples and meters were in a cupboard under the stairs)
Back then nobody in the motorcycle trade needed tourque spanner and few used more than the contents of a toolbox

greg brillus

VOC Member
Getting back to actually helping the guy................Ok.........the nuts are obviously thin, so using a socket is difficult unless you machine the bevel off the face of the socket. You can use a pair of 12 inch shifting spanners, it is a good idea to hold the brake arm to the "Actuated Position" then nip the thin nut up firm, then do the same for the other side making sure the two brake plates are in the same position, so the arms and torque stay anchors align when you refit the wheel assembly. Just a firm nip up on each nut is plenty, if you apply too much torque you will likely round off the edges of the nut...............around 15 to 20 Ft Lb's max.

mercurycrest

VOC Member
I’ve not been fortunate enough to own a Vincent for 50+ years. I’ve had mine for 6 months and it’s a very steep learning curve:)

I usually tighten the E80's by locking the brake with one hand on one side and pulling the other side with the other hand until they tighten when both sides are aligned to fit into the forks... I don't reef on it hard either.

Albervin

VOC Member
Neal Videan makes a thin spinner for the job. If you use the right spanner for any job on a Vincent then you will have close to the “ correct” torque.