Top Gear

christulin

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I just saw an episode of Top Gear on BBC America. They raced a Black Shadow against a Jaguar XK120 and a steam locomotive from the same year. The Black Shadow came in last. The "race" must have been rigged! This used to be the only regular show I watch on TV.

Len Matthews

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Poor Richard Hammond didn't stand a chance on the Shadow. He had to ride in some appalling weather and suffered a minor defect. The locomotive, Tornado, like most mainline registered steam engines, is officialy restricted to 75mph. Had it been allowed to run at it's potential maximum speed the outcome would have been much different. Anyway, like all things on Top Gear, nothing should be taken too seriously.I just wish they would stop burning rubber on some old airfield!

bmetcalf

VOC Member
I just saw an episode of Top Gear on BBC America. They raced a Black Shadow against a Jaguar XK120 and a steam locomotive from the same year. The Black Shadow came in last. The "race" must have been rigged! This used to be the only regular show I watch on TV.

Great avatar!

mercurycrest

VOC Member
Top Gear is not the programme it use to be, not that it was that good in its original incarnation. I would rather crawl across broken glass than watch the pantomime it has now apparently become. Why are there 3 ugly sisters and no Cinderella? I did watch the Vincent, Jaguar and train race and was not impressed, thinking there is an hour of my life I will not get back.

If you think the UK program is bad, you should see the US copy that has just started! PAINFULL!!
Cheers, John:rolleyes:

len.c

Non-VOC Member
I have watched the Top Gear with the Black Shadow .Who in there Right mind would allow any of these self proclaimed presenters any where near a Vin,I think the reason little Richard lost out was because he could reach the kick start,just my own theory,

Ducdude

VOC Member
Did you watch Hamster kick start the bike...He never used the compression release...Nor did the big bloke who eventually got it started...

Painful to watch...However the US version is by and far the worst hour of TV much worse then the UK version..

Eric

ET43

Non-VOC Member
It is so funny that no one seems to realise that the plonker in the train had coal on his overalls and face, but sod all on his hands. May drove the Jag up the road in brilliant sunshine, and that little chap who was supposed to have started at the same time, rode the bike up in the wet. Talk about staged. 'Nuff said. ET43