Top Gear

Tnecniv Edipar

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
He wasn't using any technique and does he know what a decompressor is ?
Really , it should have been May riding it although he would have still lost due to the pre-ride check list that would no doubt have taken place !!

timetraveller

VOC Member
Come on chaps, give the poor little Hamster some credit. How many of you, used to Vincents as you are, would get on a strange bike and ride 400+ miles, some of it in the rain wearing leathers rather than a proper water proof suit. No windscreen, no heated grips or gloves etc. Personally I thought that he suffered manfully and the option is there for any of you to do better if you can.

Tnecniv Edipar

Non-VOC Member
Heated grips ??!! Can you buy heated grips now ? :D Never had them , wouldn't want them ! Fairing ? Only ever had one on sport bikes and they are no good at keeping weather off ! He had it easy , I've ridden in worse and for longer and the A1 is a doddle compared to some journeys I've had :p

BlackLightning998

VOC Member
Great programme, loved it, but just a little disappointed but....

Evening All,

Every cloud has a silver lining if you look for it.

I was waiting with huge anticipation to watch the programme, and it all started so well (well the programme did).

I'd have been happy for any of a Steam Engine, a Jaguar or a Vincent to "win".

It was really disappointing that Richard had not learnt the technique of starting (either of the main two would have done), and it was a real shame he fouled the carb's - but the bike looked stunning and sounded just superb, who could tire of listening to that acceleration - and I enjoyed watching it, and will enjoy watching the recording of it again I'm sure.

However, to the silver lining, the fact that he couldn't start it, and the bike through no real fault of its own "failed to proceed" might, coupled with shots of him in pain, just push the swayable prospective purchasor towards the Jaguar and so not continue to assist the rising prices of Black Shadows so that when I am, if I am, fortunate to have the necessary funds spare (mmmm!) then I'll be lucky enough to be able to afford one. (I wish).

Had it stormed the contest (as it so easily could/should have) and cruised to a comfortable win, then a few people may have gone on the search of a Top Gear "Trophy" bike as an almost direct result.

I'm not a long distance Vincent rider so far - my longest day in the saddle has been to York and back with a 2 or 3 hour stop over for the Riders Rally - so c420 miles there and back in one day. I certainly knew I'd done it when I got back and was pretty physically stiff for a few days afterwards with some aches and pains - so I could quite see how he might have got that uncomfortable.

I have done 3500 miles on the CBR1000 though - with some 500 mile plus days in that trip - and got off feeling fresh, rested and ready to do a bit more - seat like a throne, fairing like a barn door and performance like a ballistic missile - but I still love riding the Vincent best.

But no decent riding gear - what was that about?

And really well done to the brave Ernie for lending his bike, very well done indeed, I know I couldn't have done it if I were fortunate enough to have such a stunning machine.

What a thoroughly lucky man Richard Hammond was. I did like the Jag too though, and then the Steam Locomotive - three of my passions in life all in one go - wow.

Cheers All,

indianken

Non-VOC Member
Stuart,

I have been lucky enough to have near the same experience.

I've ridden a Vincent Rapide, (had to buy it first)
Owned a Jag XK 120 (what a piece of c**p)
Driven a 1903 Stanley Steamer almost as fast as it would go.(Terrifying)

Now if only Marilyn Monroe was still alive-------(sigh)

Ken Smith

(CLIP)
What a thoroughly lucky man Richard Hammond was. I did like the Jag too though, and then the Steam Locomotive - three of my passions in life all in one go - wow.

Cheers All,