K: Tools Toolbox lid dimension

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Does anybody have an original Vincent factory made toolbox lid for series B or C on their bike or in their spares that they can measure.

I'm after the external dimension of the toolbox lid front to back external dimension (not side to side) so if you have an original toolbox lid that was made by the factory could you measure it to the nearest 1/16" and post the dimension here. It does need to be an original though as I have several aftermarket ones that I have already measured which all vary slightly. The dimension should be around 8".
Thanks
Simon

Alyson

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Does anybody have an original Vincent factory made toolbox lid for series B or C on their bike or in their spares that they can measure.

I'm after the external dimension of the toolbox lid front to back external dimension (not side to side) so if you have an original toolbox lid that was made by the factory could you measure it to the nearest 1/16" and post the dimension here. It does need to be an original though as I have several aftermarket ones that I have already measured which all vary slightly. The dimension should be around 8".
Thanks
Simon
Hi Simon, I have a N.O.S. lid and can make a drawing for you if you still need.....

Alyson

VOC Member
Vincent a.JPG
Vincent b.JPG

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
This seat is completely as is, from when my father stopped riding his Shadow in the late 50's. The plywood, seat foam, cover, hardware are all as is. The tool tray lid is from back then, but true, I cannot guarantee it is absolutely the one that the factory supplied. My father did add the slot, he put a lock on the side of the tool tray itself. I read it as 7 and 3/8ths.

IMG_3056.JPG
IMG_3057.JPG

bmetcalf

VOC Member
I bought a new slider for the long seat I built in 2019. It was a bit too wide for my old tool tray and I lost several tools when it fell out. I've had to bash it tighter to work properly. If I was making my own, I'd measure the tool tray and bend the slider to suit, maybe comparing the dimensions and clearances to other good examples.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I'm not making a tool tray or lid, I was just wanting to know the dimension of an original. I'm making some of the original type leather Vincent factory panniers and articulated mounting system and the two cast brackets that fit under the seat have to fit in a specific place and I wanted to check they didn't interfere with an original toolbox. The toolbox on my Shadow has a lid measuring 8" and just all fits in so anything less is not a problem.
Simon

Attachments

• IMG_3219.JPG
    IMG_3219.JPG
    417.2 KB · Views: 29

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
For clearance to the panniers, besides the dimension of the tray/lid, it also depends on where the lid is mounted, how far back from the front seat mounts.