Tool tray Security

Ducdude

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Gents,

What methods have you all came up with to secure the tool trays under the
seats while under motion. The must be a good way to clip it in and keep it
from leaving the bike and spreading the tools all over the road.
My Tool tray has not fallen off but I can see how that would be possible
under the right circumstances.

Thanks,
Eric

notap

Non-VOC Member
See images. This seems to work, although you will lose some space in the tray. Rob.

Attachments

• DSCF5784.jpg
    DSCF5784.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 138
  • DSCF5783.jpg
    DSCF5783.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 140

Ducdude

VOC Member
Tool tray Security spelling change

See images. This seems to work, although you will lose some space in the tray. Rob.

Wow now that is quite cool!!! A bit more engeneerd than I was looking for but very neat nonetheless! Thanks....

KTB had an easy soultion using bits from the rear mud guard to fashion a keeper, I am thinking about..

However now that I have seen the under side of your seat I am thinking.....I should stain and coat the wood under there...

Thanks,
Eric

Last edited:

b'knighted

VOC Member
Check out the thread: "How to make the tool tray secure from the casual tealeaf" started 12-01-2008 by BlackLightning998.

Cheers

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Gents,

What methods have you all came up with to secure the tool trays under the
seats while under motion. The must be a good way to clip it in and keep it
from leaving the bike and spreading the tools all over the road.
My Tool tray has not fallen off but I can see how that would be possible
under the right circumstances.

Thanks,
Eric

There was no tool tray with the pile of bits that became my Rapide so I made one out of an unsuspecting desk-top computer side panel. This is a good, tight fit in the under seat rails but just to be sure I fixed a simple metal bracket under the seat and drilled a hole through this and into the tool tray. I used a Dzus fastener through the hole in the bracket to secure the tray. No tool space lost in the tray and it can be unfastened with a coin.
Looking at the space between the tool tray and spring units I could have made a slightly bigger tool tray. Maybe some other time I will do that, handy for carrying a few more tools for running repairs on other people's bikes.;-) Fingers crossed.

Ducdude

VOC Member
I fixed a simple metal bracket under the seat and drilled a hole through this and into the tool tray. I used a Dzus fastener through the hole in the bracket to secure the tray. No tool space lost in the tray and it can be unfastened with a coin.
QUOTE]

Thanks Eddy .....I am tight with space with the stock box as it is.....but I will mull over all these ideas and see which one works the best...Much Thanks!

Eric

timetraveller

VOC Member
Maughan's used to make, and possibly still do make, an oversized stainless steel tool tray. It might be worth contacting them if you would like to have increased capacity.