F: Frame Tool tray position and fixing

doctired

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi, Sorry to be a bore, I have owned my 49 Rap for many years now but it never had a tool tray. I bought a lovely s/s one from the club spares but the slider base is undrilled and the mounting point probably has half an inch of flexibility. I should like to fix it using the correct fixings in the correct place in an authentic fashion. Do any of the bretheren have any advice on this one? Thank you for your help. The devil is in the detail...

davidd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I don't think they will mark your card for the mounting. The last stock seat I made had nuts welded to the seat stiffener so the four screws that would hold the slider base could be removed. Once removed, the slider base can be lined up to your liking.
Stock Seat 1.jpg
When flipped over the seat looks like this:
Stock Seat 6.jpg

My base slider was pre-drilled, and was not drilled correctly. I chose two holes and drilled the others rather than make more of a project out an already complicated project. But, you can see the slider base is not centered. It may not need centering. I would install the tray on the slider base and see where you want it when assembled. Also, consider some type of securing or locking mechanism. Nothing fancy is necessary, but a simple key lock can be installed on either end' I believe, and a slot installed in the slider base. The tang of the lock can be modified to fit what you wish to do.
Tool Tray Lock.PNG

David

b'knighted

VOC Member
Fitting a similar lock was the first thing I ever did on my first Comet. About three weeks later I managed to get the tray open. The second job I did was to fit a guard in the tray to prevent the tools from sliding under the lock and preventing the locking bar from exiting the slot in the seat base.

doctired

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Dear Sir,
You are a very kind man who has told me exactly what I need to know. The slider is undrilled but the seat has the original 1949 fixings. (I naively imagine...!!) The prob is that there is no guidance. Similar to cable routing....
Thank you
John

doctired

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Fitting a similar lock was the first thing I ever did on my first Comet. About three weeks later I managed to get the tray open. The second job I did was to fit a guard in the tray to prevent the tools from sliding under the lock and preventing the locking bar from exiting the slot in the seat base.
Thanks bud. I will eventually show up at Morchard on the Rap. Hopefully Sept!!!

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
These locks are probably available in the U.K. from purveyors of caravan equipment. A shakeproof washer of suitable size under the nut is another nifty wheeze

vibrac

VOC Member
For Brampton fork owners a Yamaha moped tool box screw can be used to hold the tray in place and matches the damper knob in minature.
I always used a magnet on a bracket to give that extra restraint now only stainless trays are available I have to add my own piece of steel on the side to match
I have enough keys in my life not to add more:)

b'knighted

VOC Member
Thanks bud. I will eventually show up at Morchard on the Rap. Hopefully Sept!!!
Hi Doc,

Our September meeting is this Sunday, tomorrow as I write and, if the Rap isn’t ready yet, we'd be pleased to meet you using any other means of transport.

Next month is our Autumn Meet at Coombe Martin.

b'knighted

VOC Member
Our September meeting was this Sunday and the Rap was ready. If you hadn't told us about the tool tray we wouldn't have noticed that it wasn't there.
A pleasure to meet you and I hope you can make it to our Autumn Meet at Coombe Martin, first weekend in October.
Rapide Left.JPG
Rapide right_5611.JPG

doctired

Active Forum User
VOC Member
A wonderful hour spent in the company of true gentlemen with embarrassing levels of knowledge. And lovely, long suffering partners. Thank yo so much all, for a delightful reception on my return to the group after a rebuild. See you all asap. December looks a hope. Electrics fun on way back!!!
Thank you green flag!!!! Oh the shame!.....