E: Engine Todays task

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Nearly finished my rebuild on the Comet just fitting the exhaust pipe. The nut wont screw in! Now I think I am quite good on this item but it wont go in. I have a spare nut or two in the stash and one of those fits a treat, I get out the calipers and yes the one on the pipe is an oversize nut I guess the 90 bore head had been 'seen to' and this new head is a pretty new standard head so its time to change nuts. I have a socket that just slips in the pipe and fitted to an extension in the vice I heat up the pipe and flatten the flange, then I swap nuts and get out my trusty 2 piece clamp. Its nothing special just a piece of alloy round bar about 1" or so long with a hole in the center same size as a pipe with about 3/8" parallel bored and the rest re-leave tapered then split in half. But without it you would have to be a real blacksmith to achieve a new flange. Pipe up the heat start the flare with a ball pain hammer flatten out with a tap hammer and file the face and flange sides then finally make sure the flange fits right up inside the port. add gasket then screw in nut by hand well into port, tighten a turn or so and leave final tighten till the engine is warm.
The workshop is the only cure for the Ground Hog day syndrome :rolleyes: so why not tell us about your days job?

Attachments

• 1605979366657.jpeg
    1605979366657.jpeg
    146 KB · Views: 22

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
Starting in to build a Thruxton R fuel tank in .063" alloy. Planning to do away with the visible seam the Thruxton has at bottom. Can't fault them for using it as the original Triumph they styled from had the seam.
I think it might look better without the seam.
Also, the tank bottom will be made to fit a Norton Commando frame.
I'm using a series of Ball Pang Hammers with various curvatures. They are Ball Pang Hammers as the heads are nylon and only cause a sharp Pang that ebbs away after a day or two.
A Ball Pain hammer has more capacity for pain. That pain can last into the next decade, should you still be alive and have functioning nerve endings!

Glen

Attachments

• IMG_20201120_113052.jpg
    IMG_20201120_113052.jpg
    258.3 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_20201120_113450.jpg
    IMG_20201120_113450.jpg
    266.2 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20201121_134042.jpg
    IMG_20201121_134042.jpg
    291 KB · Views: 38

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
Possibly. I'll see how it goes with the knee indents. They are tricky to do.
I'm a first timer on the indents, struggling like Ann Murray on high heels!

Glen