• Welcome to the website of the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club.

Should you have any questions relating to the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club, or Vincent H.R.D. motorcycles in general, please contact Graham Smith, Hon. Editor and Webmaster by calling 07977 001 025 or please CLICK HERE.

You are unrecognised, and therefore, only have VERY restricted access to the many features of this website.

If you have previously registered to use this forum, you should log in now. CLICK HERE.

If you have never registered to use this website before, please CLICK HERE.

For Sale To see on eBay

chankly bore

Well Known and Active Website User
VOC Member
He doesn't know how to adjust the front brakes, one Series "A" rear brake rod wing nut and my favourite pet hate, doesn't have a clue where the H.T. lead should go on its journey to the plug!

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I think you missed one Chank's, I can't see a Big Nut on the right hand prop stand tube.
Just a bit of Fun, It would look nice in my Garage, Please. Cheers Bill.

timetraveller

VOC Member
All the above might be true. There is also the rear light and the folding footrests but is it not a very nicely presented bike which would require very little to sort out the few problems? Not everyone wants all parts to be as original, folding footrests are one example.

plasticbeer

VOC Member
All the above might be true. There is also the rear light and the folding footrests but is it not a very nicely presented bike which would require very little to sort out the few problems? Not everyone wants all parts to be as original, folding footrests are one example.
I think Timetrveller is spot on with this observation, the folding footrests have corrected the biggest mistake the factory made with the singles.

Vince Farrell

vibrac

VOC Member
Two LH foot rest hangers two preunit triumph pillion footrests a bit of turning and die threading two nuts and there we are comet folding footrests! in my case all out of the scrap bin.in true 1960's Vincent workshop practice

timetraveller

VOC Member
Are you sure? I have been fitting them with the tangs to the bottom for years and drawing MO 30 shows them that way round in the 1954 Spare Parts List.

greg brillus

VOC Member
For all it's minor faults, it has one thing that most all Vincent's have lost. It still has all of it's original handlebar levers, this is one detail that is hard to fix on a proper restoration.

chankly bore

VOC Member
I agree that folding footrests are a good idea: no reason why the svelte, lithe Single should be wider than those portly Twins! In the same vein, I wouldn't criticize a Honda/ Kwacka side stand or a Dave Hills stand. According to marks on my original front mudguard the rear stay is correctly placed. There are a few more minor faults, but I'm only criticizing because of the claim "better than it left the factory".

Last edited:

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Riders Manual. p.17 shows them pointing down, too. Funny, the tabs aren't shown in the Rap and Shadow photos. My bike had them pointing up when I bought it and when I noted contact with the mag cowl, Ron Kemp told me to point them down.

vibrac

VOC Member
When thinking about the correct position one should consider the meteor and it's swinging front stand, that would need tang up for certain. Having said that does it matter?

bmetcalf

VOC Member
He still is slagging those legendary Alton electric starters. They must be bad, you never see them on a running bike!;)

Graham Smith

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Re the Black Lightning replica on ebay…

I can confirm that the bike has been inspected and the frame and engine numbers have been checked against our factory records and are correct. The relevant dating information has been provided above.
I'm sure it could be easily argued that that statement is false representation - either by the vendor or Vincent HRD Company.

Unless the Vincent HRD Company have fraudulently obtained a set of factory records, then there's no way of knowing the 'frame and engine numbers are correct'.

Maybe they mean the frame and engine numbers have been inspected by the Club?

@vin998 ?

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Didn't the bloke that was banned from the Club, Give this type of paper work out ?, I think I have seen something like it before. Cheers Bill.