To peterg

riptragle1953

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
The best sealant I have ever used on cases is silicone.... the stuff people love to hate. Silicone, like anything else, has to be used correctly for the application and this is the reason folks bad-mouthed it because they didn't use it right!
Naturally, have very clean mating surfaces when you start.... a good wiping down with lacquer thinner or such. Spread a THIN even amount on the joint.... oh credit card thick. Assemble case but only tighten the screws gently until you
see the slightest amount of silicone bulge out evenly around the joint. Tighten no further! Now go away and let the silicone fully cure.... at least 24 hours. Now you have a really good strong rubber gasket there instead of a squooshed out mess!
It is now time to fully tighten the cover.

riptragle1953

Non-VOC Member
Sure I have..... but that's because it was not used correctly and all the surplus from tightening it wet just hung unsupported on the inside.... Using my way: there are no silicone "strings" to break off.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
I meant that I assumed that the final tightening after the 24 hour wait didn't shear off any strings.

The other way, apparently the quill stops the strings from clogging up the big end rollers. ;-)

riptragle1953

Non-VOC Member
See, when the wet silicone is lightly tightened you stop when you just see the material start to bulge on the outside.... thus it will be the same on the inside. When cured the rubber gasket is thick and solid with no protruding thin pieces
to come loose. There is perhaps a very tiny bulge when you do your final tightening (and the tightening itself doesn't have to be over-torqued... just reasonably tight). What tiny bit might bulge a wee bit from the outer case joint can
be leveled with your fingernail. The point being is the fact you have a thicker, solid gasket that stays put.... again: there are no strings after tightening as the the rubber is now solid and strong.

riptragle1953

Non-VOC Member
Oh, one other thing I want to mention. I am NEVER saying my way is the only or even the best way. All I can report is what worked for me. The whole idea is to keep oil from leaking.... and, if the way someone else
accomplishes this goal that is the the right way for them!