To peterg

riptragle1953

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
No I don't remember that particular machine.... and there are very few machines I do remember because my memory is so bad these days.... everything gets jumbled up as I did so many. It's only by some reminder that I may remember
something..... that's one reason I am going through this box of old pictures as they will kick off a memory I had long forgotten. As far as your engine with my name in it .... yes I did used to do that much like watchmakers do when they
have fixed someone's timepiece. God only knows who has done what to your engine in all these years. One tip to an engine I've done is I never used gaskets at the case mating joints and I enjoyed having the inside as clean and tidy as the outside. Cheers.

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
In 30+ years of restoring Jaguar cars ,the ones that stick out came back after the stipulated 500 miles for their first service with a smlle on their face! The pain of the "bill" was replaced with pleasure of using the "beast"

riptragle1953

Non-VOC Member
Well you certainly are right..... I loved the big smile the owner had when returning from their first ride on the rebuild..... Barry Howell broke down hugged me and cried he was so happy! This is what made it seem so very worthwhile.

peterg

Non-VOC Member
Howdy Rip,

This is a truly Rip (Van Winkle) moment. I essentially dragged a New Old Stock Tragle rebuild out of that garage. This is John McAlpine's bike that was not put together after you completed that rebuild or only ridden less than a 100 miles. It was sitting there with the headlight assy completely wired up, the UFM still full of oil (did not wet sump in 30 years) and labels on extraneous wires as to where they went. The motor had your blue Loctite-y looking sealant on joint faces and no gaskets. I pulled the top end down to dress the valves/seats (with Wenol so as not to disturb anything) and the pistons were only lightly scooted like it had run on the bench or in a test chassis.

This machine remained disassembled and was to be his retirement project. Alas, he did not live to see that. An overly aggressive rider he died on his Ducati at age 62. His widow did not want anyone at the house and all of his classic machines were sold through the local Duc shop except this one and few knew of it. Somer did and hinted of its existence, I didn't even know what town it was located in. Initial contact with her was very discouraging, she and her daughter said it would remain in the house as long as she was alive......it took a long time but charm, guile and an overwhelming amount of shameless groveling yielded my favorite machine of any I've ever owned.

It'd be super groovy to see an old snapshot of you as an erascible (I've heard tell) young whippersnapper puring over its innards. I can pm you its motor number.

peterg

Non-VOC Member
Howdy Chaps,

For some strange reason find I can't edit my post, a decided hindrance for those increasingly afflicted with senior moments, anywho, it's no Loctite but Permatex type stuff in case Rip corrects me with a sharp rap to the knuckles. I initially started and rode this machine for several hundred miles with the wretched timed breather in place creating sizeable transition pulses within the cases judging by the oil exiting the compression release port on the timing cover. Not keen to disturb that case sealant, I quickly created the solution in the form of that PCV type valve which is ever so more gentle and kind to sealed surfaces and can say after a dab of Permatex grey to the case joint under the trans, this motor is dry as a bone 30 plus years later. Rip, I'll have to tell our dear friend Leo Goff that you've surfaced on the forums. He's playing bass more than ever down on Beale St these days and we have our annual foray to Bike Week where he can ride a P11 with an absolute bear trap of a clutch in stiflng traffic with no discomfort...easy when your ring finger is the size of most people's big toe.