To all Comet owners

redbloke1956

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi All, I have what I think is (and will assume is for the sake of this post) a stock '51 Comet, what I would like to know is what carby you guys reccommend and why?
I am not after superior performance or outstanding economy, just an all round good carby, at least until I can one day save up the 400 pounds for the new original type Amal.
Looking forward to the knowledgeable replies.
Regards
Kevin

timetraveller

VOC Member
What carb is on there now? If it is still the original and it is worn out then there are people over here, and probably others nearer to you, who can renovate it so that it looks and performs like new at a fraction of the cost of a new one. If you have no carb then for cheapness go to your local bike breaker and see if he has a Mikuni for a four stroke with a 28 mm diameter bore. There is nothing wrong with either monoblocs (but they are so old now that you will probably find that they are unobtainable), Mk II Amals or the Mikunis. Personally I am not a fan of the Mk I concentrics but then other have used them for years.

Black Flash

VOC Member
I have found on my B44 that MkI concentrics wear out really fast and are not the best anyway. I would go for a Mikuni carb. over here in Germany they are about 100 pounds come with a massive brass hardchromed slide and are well made. You can get an cable operated choke for little money and the looks are acceptable.
It is a real revelation if you have something new to play with, adjust and forget about it.

HTH Bernd

redbloke1956

Non-VOC Member
I have found on my B44 that MkI concentrics wear out really fast and are not the best anyway. I would go for a Mikuni carb. over here in Germany they are about 100 pounds come with a massive brass hardchromed slide and are well made. You can get an cable operated choke for little money and the looks are acceptable.
It is a real revelation if you have something new to play with, adjust and forget about it.
HTH Bernd

Thanks Blackflash. can you tell me the part number of the Mikuni please

redbloke1956

Non-VOC Member
What carb is on there now? If it is still the original and it is worn out then there are people over here, and probably others nearer to you, who can renovate it so that it looks and performs like new at a fraction of the cost of a new one. If you have no carb then for cheapness go to your local bike breaker and see if he has a Mikuni for a four stroke with a 28 mm diameter bore. There is nothing wrong with either monoblocs (but they are so old now that you will probably find that they are unobtainable), Mk II Amals or the Mikunis. Personally I am not a fan of the Mk I concentrics but then other have used them for years.

Thanks Timetraveller, The carb that came with the Comet is an Amal L928? and doesn't want to fit under the tank

Black Flash

VOC Member
on a Comet, I would go for a Mikuni VM 30 or if you have MkII cams fitted and slightly tuned the engine, you could also go for a VM 32.
If I am not mistaken, Allensperformance ( www.allensperformance.co.uk) sell complete kits for Vincents. They are a bit more expensive than the standard carbs in Germany, but they are already jetted, got the correct slide and the guys are very helpful. They would not tell me the jetting etc, but gave the information to the German distributer within hours, so I could order the carb in Germany.

You could also go for a Dellorto carb with or without accelerator pump, but what put me off is that the German distributor could not help me at all with the jetting or answer any questions really. There are about 70 needles to choose from and so many different jets, mixing throats etc that I gave up on that idea. The Mikuni is sooo much simpler

P.S. I have no connection with the company or any financial benefits

HTH

Bernd

Comet Rider

VOC Member
Hi Redbloke,
I would definately use a Mikuni, just for the ease of tuning and setting up.
For a standard Comet either a 28mm or a 30mm bore. If you intend to tune the bike at a later date the think about either a 32 or a 34mm bore. On my 580cc Comet I'm running a 34mm VM Round slide Mikuni with good results (I can supply more details on request)
As Bernd mentioned above, Allens are helpfull, and there is also another alternative in the UK called Motocarb ( www.motocarb.co.uk ) run by Steve Doran, who has been very helpfull to me. In the USA it would be Sudco on the west coast.

Shipping from the UK would be the only problem, as this could be as much as the cost of the carb after import duties at your end, unless you know of someone coming over to Europe this winter.

HTH
Neil

C

charlottevictoria

Hi,

I am using a Dell-Ortho 32mm (hommade adapter) with starting carb. from a Ducati 900 SS. It fits exactly under the fuel-tank. It runs great and it starts great. When I kick the starter half the way down the engine runs. I drive the Comet with a Blacknell Bullet sidecar and it runs very good (65mph)with less than 6 liters/100 km.

Peter

bmetcalf

VOC Member
That is around 40 miles per US gallon, so pretty good. What silencer are you using? Is very restrictive?

In the '80's when 900SS bikes were imported to the US, they would have a road legal set of 32's and quiet mufflers installed, but an "off road" set of 40's and less quiet mufflers would be included. The race kit would be installed almost immediately. I assumed at the time that the left over 32's would be easy to buy and would work on a Vin. The BMW R00RS used 38's, but revved higher than a Vin.

C

charlottevictoria

I am using the original Vincent silencer. I have had a 900ss many years ago and drove it with 40's and Conti silencers. So the 32's still are like new. I also drove a BMW 90S with 38's. The 38's and the 40's are much higher than the 32's and may not fit under the fuel tank. Even the 32's ist a work which deals with millimeters. The cable on the top only as a little space. I have bought the 32mm pipe (which comes directly between carb and cylinder head) in Netwil March about 15 years ago. This must have been a tunig part of a Shadow. The Dellortho carb needs a special adapter between that pipe and itself which has to be homemade. The Ducati parts don't fit.

Best regards
Peter