To all Comet owners

revderek

Forum User
VOC Member
Hi All, I have what I think is (and will assume is for the sake of this post) a stock '51 Comet, what I would like to know is what carby you guys reccommend and why?
I am not after superior performance or outstanding economy, just an all round good carby, at least until I can one day save up the 400 pounds for the new original type Amal.
Looking forward to the knowledgeable replies.
Regards
Kevin
Having spent sonce 1969 suffering a flooding Amal & associated issues I decided to go the Mikuni route. I dealt with Steve at Motocarb. Brilliant.
Everything I needed to make the swap which went like a dream. Only info I couldn't find was cable lengths for throttle & choke/starter.
So, made new cables with free inner length 70mm for choke & 120mm for throttle. Both 10mm longer than measured but easily taken up by adjusters.
With Pazon ignition, Alton generator & LEDs all round now starts first kick. (Great for old hips & knees!) No more flooding even on sidestand overnight!
Only hiccough is getting at idle mixture but modified stubby & bit of contortion even that's achievable.

Chris Launders

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi,

I am using a Dell-Ortho 32mm (hommade adapter) with starting carb. from a Ducati 900 SS. It fits exactly under the fuel-tank. It runs great and it starts great. When I kick the starter half the way down the engine runs. I drive the Comet with a Blacknell Bullet sidecar and it runs very good (65mph)with less than 6 liters/100 km.

Peter
Do you recall what jets are in the 32s as I have a pair of mint ones off an 860GTS and have considered fitting them to my twin.

Chris

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I would stick them on as is ?, And do some plug chops to see the colour at different speeds,
Remember the Dellorto main jets are numbered lower than Amals,
At a guess mains will be about 135 / 140 .

vibrac

VOC Member
All the Mikunis I have fitted I used the lever on the carb for the choke so one less cable under the tank is OK with me. Actually at the moment while I have a 28mm and a 32mm Mikuni I have actually got an old monoblock (pre Burlen) on the road Comet:oops:. "leave well alone! if if works leave it" is my watchword nowadays I have more jobs in the workshop than years left to do them.
Redbloke may list his bikes I dont have enough space on this postingo_O

Jez Nemeth

Non-VOC Member
Would avoid the new Amal Premiere 930, unless of course you like spending weeks + weeks setting the thing up, if so then maybe the carb for you? Saying that, once set up it's been brilliant, but was a journey of discovery, lots of fiddling to get it there -basically you need a 3 3/4 slide which nobody makes, so all other adjustments are a fine balancing act. I got round it by making a 3 3/4 slide, got the file to prove it...

A_HRD

VOC Member
Chris, (Ref your post above).

Charlotte-victoria may not be around any more - that post was dated 2010 and he/she wasn't a member then!

Peter B

revderek

Forum User
VOC Member
Like the original post, I've gone Mikuni, Pazon ignotion and Alton Gen with my '50 Comet. Amal kept flooding and I started getting a misfire/loss of power over 55mph. I swapped in the Mikuni and indeed started first kick but the misfire/loss of power is still present. I remove the generator from the circuit and the misfire disappears and I get up to full speed (over 80mph) no trouble. Put the generator back in and bluey - 55mph max. However, first kick start is wonderful for a leg that's only 3 months older than the bike and 55mph is pretty comfortable really (over here in New Zealand).

vibrac

VOC Member
However wonderful coil ignition is, for road use I like to keep ignition and lighting in separate boxes one of the jobs this winter is to retire my old Lucas mag and fit the early electronic BTH mag that served the racing Comet for many years. Luckily the BTH man lives twenty miles away so I have had it refurbished first.

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
Have you tried twin plugging Vibrac, one has to retard about 10 degrees shorten the amount of advance and get very improved MPG. I've all ways gone for economy, a lot of people find the improved acceleration is intoxicating so do not appreciate the economy. Phil Primer always come to mind on his outfit that he enjoyed and was definitely the best sounding twin going round Montlery.
bananaman.

vibrac

VOC Member
Strangely enough Marcus the BTH is set for twin sparks that I set up for my Methanol season and seeing the connections the BTH guy has added two plug leads. My only worry is that one plug hole (I have two doesn't everyone :) ) is occupied by a RE valve lifter. since I have an electric starter I have not needed to use it this year. So I was thinking of having twin plugs my only reservations are
1. I may need to kickstart some time
2. If I can get a 90mm piston I may go big bore
However low compression is low compression thats up to me cylinder packing and play dough