Timing Side

Big Sid

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
This has been done several times but no real improvement ever claimed or proven . Some even did the rockers but these quickly
Brinnel the pins . A well oiled bush expecially in oillite lasts forever and does perfectly . Sid .

D

Deleted member 1085

Yes, my camshaft gears have needle rollers. I don't know who did them though. Appear to work OK.

A_HRD

VOC Member
Yes, my Rapide's large idler runs on 2 small ball-bearings. Similarly, I don't know who did these either, but they've lasted for decades! If anyone is contemplating doing such a modification, concentricity is all important.

Peter B
Bristol, UK.

vibrac

VOC Member
One of the late sixties firms made them -was it hillgate motors?
Sids right not a lot of advantage and a few problembs

clevtrev

VOC Member
Timing.jpg
There`s also this method.

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
On spindle wear . As the cam pinions only turn at half crank speed and the spring loadings are not dead constant then wear isn't
extremely severe on their spindles . Were one to nitride their surfaces I'd guess this would cease to be an issue . And use high grade oillite bronze bushes . And certainly here's a case for having ZDDP in ones oil this especially good at sliding surface protection . Sid .

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
Maybe I'm wrong on the camshaft speed , I'm sure that the magneto spins at half engine speed , but the camshaft speed ratio seems hazy to me now . The related thoughts are sound tho . Sid .

Risada

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
This has been done several times but no real improvement ever claimed or proven . Some even did the rockers but these quickly
Brinnel the pins . A well oiled bush expecially in oillite lasts forever and does perfectly . Sid .

It is a good observation, mr. Sid! Thank you very mutch.