• Welcome to the forum website of the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club.

Should you have any questions relating to the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club, or Vincent H.R.D. motorcycles in general, please contact Graham Smith, Online Forum Webmaster by calling 07977 001 025 or please CLICK HERE.

You are unrecognised, and therefore, only have VERY restricted access to the many features of this forum website.

If you have previously registered to use this forum website, you should log in now. CLICK HERE.

If you have never registered to use this forum website before, please CLICK HERE.

Timing Side

Big Sid

This has been done several times but no real improvement ever claimed or proven . Some even did the rockers but these quickly
Brinnel the pins . A well oiled bush expecially in oillite lasts forever and does perfectly . Sid .

D

Deleted member 1085

Yes, my camshaft gears have needle rollers. I don't know who did them though. Appear to work OK.

A_HRD

Well Known and Active Forum Website User
VOC Member
Yes, my Rapide's large idler runs on 2 small ball-bearings. Similarly, I don't know who did these either, but they've lasted for decades! If anyone is contemplating doing such a modification, concentricity is all important.

Peter B
Bristol, UK.

vibrac

VOC Member
One of the late sixties firms made them -was it hillgate motors?
Sids right not a lot of advantage and a few problembs

clevtrev

VOC Member
Timing.jpg
There`s also this method.

Big Sid

On spindle wear . As the cam pinions only turn at half crank speed and the spring loadings are not dead constant then wear isn't
extremely severe on their spindles . Were one to nitride their surfaces I'd guess this would cease to be an issue . And use high grade oillite bronze bushes . And certainly here's a case for having ZDDP in ones oil this especially good at sliding surface protection . Sid .

Big Sid

Maybe I'm wrong on the camshaft speed , I'm sure that the magneto spins at half engine speed , but the camshaft speed ratio seems hazy to me now . The related thoughts are sound tho . Sid .

Risada

Forum Website User
Non-VOC Member
This has been done several times but no real improvement ever claimed or proven . Some even did the rockers but these quickly
Brinnel the pins . A well oiled bush expecially in oillite lasts forever and does perfectly . Sid .

It is a good observation, mr. Sid! Thank you very mutch.

Warning! This thread is more than 10yrs ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Photos from the 2022 North American Rally

Photos from the 2022 Annual Rally

Photos from the 2022 French Rally