timing pulleys

bodlan

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi

I've got the timing cover off on my Comet at the moment and thought I would check the positioining of the dots & keyways for accuracy.
However, in my handbook it says that the illustrated pulley positions only occurs once in 'many' revolutions. Does someone know exactly how many before I wear my arm out spinning the rear wheel!

Thanks

Dave

nkt267

VOC Member
I just got very silly and worked it out on the bench.I thought I'd read somewhere that they lined up every 97 revolutions of the halftime pinion,but trying it on the bench it comes out to 79 revolutions.Must be getting past it I suppose.

clevtrev

VOC Member
Hi

I've got the timing cover off on my Comet at the moment and thought I would check the positioining of the dots & keyways for accuracy.
However, in my handbook it says that the illustrated pulley positions only occurs once in 'many' revolutions. Does someone know exactly how many before I wear my arm out spinning the rear wheel!

Thanks

Dave
Exactly the same number as the amount of teeth on the large idler.

Len Matthews

VOC Member
Timing Pulleys? Mine and everyone else's bike have gears (or pinions, if you like) in the timing chest, Is this a conversion to toothed belt drive?:confused:

bodlan

VOC Member
Pulley v Gears

Ah! Just a mental slip between brain and finger.
Thanks for the 79 though. Just what I need.

Dave