timing gear steady plate

tractorman414

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Yesterday a STEEL ET161 timing gear steady plate sold on ebay for £37.00, with a description claiming "I think they were meant for more highly stressed engines, and for racing units or sprinters". I had always thought that the only metal suitable for the steady plate was one with a similar coefficient of expansion to the crankcases, i.e. aluminium/alloy.
Steel would surely pull the spindle ends together,accelerating wear.

Any thoughts ?

Bernard

Len Matthews

VOC Member
Yesterday a STEEL ET161 timing gear steady plate sold on ebay for £37.00, with a description claiming "I think they were meant for more highly stressed engines, and for racing units or sprinters". I had always thought that the only metal suitable for the steady plate was one with a similar coefficient of expansion to the crankcases, i.e. aluminium/alloy.
Steel would surely pull the spindle ends together,accelerating wear.

Any thoughts ?

Bernard

Absolutely right Bernard. The whole idea was that the expansion rate of the steady plate would match that of the crankcase. On the same subject, many years ago as a very inexperienced Vincent owner I ordered a new steady plate from Harper Engines. I sent it back complaining that the hole for the idler spindle had been drilled oversize. It was returned with a note explaining the reason why. So much to learn!

nkt267

VOC Member
Interestingly I have never seen an alloy one on a Comet,nor does it seem to be listed in my parts list although it is pictured on MO64..Maybe half a twin does not expand as much:D or does not need lightening:;)..John

clevtrev

VOC Member
Absolutely right Bernard. The whole idea was that the expansion rate of the steady plate would match that of the crankcase. On the same subject, many years ago as a very inexperienced Vincent owner I ordered a new steady plate from Harper Engines. I sent it back complaining that the hole for the idler spindle had been drilled oversize. It was returned with a note explaining the reason why. So much to learn!
Which Idler ?

Howard

VOC Member
Come on Len, put me out of my misery - why is it oversize. The reason I'm worried, I haven't had the timing gear apart for a long time, but I can't remember any of the holes being oversize. Is this something that's slipped under my radar from a previous owner or is it just my memory?

H

john998

VOC Member
Steady plate

Hello,
I think Len is refering to the hole for the large idler spindle thread.
It is over size to allow for adjustment of mesh to the cam wheels.

Regards John.

Howard

VOC Member
Ah yes I remember it well. It's a memory thing not a mechanical problem - there's a releif.

H