E: Engine Timing Gear Set Up

greg brillus

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Just another small point Steve........Just check the length of the spindles before you install them........i had an oversized cam spindle a couple of years back that was actually longer than the original one removed.......I had a hell of a time installing the spindle the last 2 mm or so, because it was longer by said amount........Naturally it was on the rebuild of my engine..........Always the way.........

Steve Morris

VOC Member
OK, As i mentioned i stuck the spindles in the freezer last night, it was Burns night so i enjoyed the usual 'fayre' and forgot about them! This morning i checked them and there has definitely been some shrinkage, here are the figures;

Room temp.
Cam spindle = 0.5017"
Follower spindle = 0.3742"

After a night in the freezer.
Cam spindle = 0.5010"
Follower spindle = 0.3739"

Bearing in mind that a std interference fit has a difference of about 0.001" I would say that's quite a considerable amount of shrinkage?
One thing i did notice this morning is that it only took c. 1 minute in room temperature for them to warm up sufficiently to change.

Best regards,

Steve.

Steve Morris

VOC Member
Just another small point Steve........Just check the length of the spindles before you install them........i had an oversized cam spindle a couple of years back that was actually longer than the original one removed.......I had a hell of a time installing the spindle the last 2 mm or so, because it was longer by said amount........Naturally it was on the rebuild of my engine..........Always the way.........
Thanks Greg, i have made a mental note to check this, as it can as you say make a good job go bad very easily!

vibrac

VOC Member
Imagine how much heat they would suck in, in contact with a ~150C crankcase!
If you take a minute to install a spindle you are not preparing the job properly. The last (non Vincent )engine I did found that I had to insert a 1.5 " phos bronze bearing with 1-2 thou interference I fridged the big insertion plug and the bearing together carried it in a polysyrene box to the room temperature crankcase that was already chocked up wirh locktight applied to the bore and popped it in with a few well aimed blows of a small mallet as in so much, preparation is all.