Timing chain adjustment

greg brillus

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I see on here Peter mentioned about a conversion to belt drive. On the twins that Neal and Rodney have built, these have a belt drive for the magdyno, the outer cover is wider than a standard original one. I am not sure by how much as I haven't seen an original one for some time, but it is wider. This also means that the rear exhaust header pipe is slightly more to the right to clear the cover. The belt is only about 10/12 mm in width, the pullies are obviously wider than a stock sprocket, and even with the wider outer cover they only just clear internally. It is a neat and tidy job, probably free of normal maintenance and adjustment, that with the belt primary are sensible upgrades. The dry clutch is fabulous and makes for perfect gear shifts and selection without any "Crunching"into gear. Something to think about.............

billirwinnz

VOC Member
If you are buying a bicycle chain look for single speed or hub gear chain. The ones for use with derailleurs have thinner side plates sculpted for gear changing. More expensive too.

billirwinnz

VOC Member
Just goes to show how a couple of days away in Paris with the kids things certainly get a head of me.
Bill make sure you fit a spring/lipped Gaco seal into the inner chain case as I used nearly a gallon going to sea Proff Higgins in Sweden and then he gave me another gallon to get home with Got the sizes from Bob Stafford as he was always helpful to me also he congratulated me in using the "A" so extensively as he used his traveling back and forth to Germany when in the forces and they cam be got better with today technology . Or there is another mod that Robert Watson passed onto me and that was connecting a drain line to a "T" banjo bolt directly into sump, mine had to be a "T" as there was another from the "COFFIN" oil separator (threw away the coffin lid. ! )

Hi Marcus

If you have the chain drive sealed why do you need a drain to the sump bung and how does oil get to the chain to lubricate it? (I suppose that you are going to tell me that oil gets EVERYWHERE on an A twin :).

Bill

Last edited by a moderator:

billirwinnz

VOC Member
I'm planning to fit a drain to the sump bung and arrange a small diameter pipe in the rear of the cover to catch oil from the inspection hole and drip it onto the chain. Has anyone else done something similar or is there a better solution?

Bill