Timing Case Correction Jig

riptragle1953

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Timing Casee Jig.jpg Three months of design and building so I could accurately reclaim worn spindle bores with bronze sleeves and ream the fitted sleeves for exact spindle fit....... without the bother of splitting the cases for mill work.

clevtrev

VOC Member
What method did you use to put the bronze bushes in ? such that you were able to ream them in position, it had to be VERY firm, to withstand the load of the reamer.

riptragle1953

Non-VOC Member
agghh....you are asking me to remember something.... I fear this as I am libel to misstate something. The jig did everything up to and including final spindle insertion.
The reamers used were spiral carbide that drew swarf out of the bore
As I remember I used 1/2'' o.d by 3/8'' i.d hard al.bz. bushes. (for rockers) As the .002'' interference of the bush (.0005" more than specified) shrunk the I.D of that bush was just a tiny bit under
the.0015'' I used to hold the spindle here. So, what reaming was necessary for that fit was VERY minimal..... and again a real sharp carbide spiral reamer.

riptragle1953

Non-VOC Member
Oh, I forgot the insertion part: the jig included a piloted driver for the bush.... I would radius and polish the bush leading edge and simply drive it in...... what small outer edge distortion (always very minor as this was very tough bronze)......
was removed when the 3/8" reamer was used.

riptragle1953

Non-VOC Member
And that's exactly what it is. My Step Dad was in the med. supply business and there were no end of handy gizmo's around!

greg brillus

VOC Member
I use clothes pegs for the same job, and i can even colour code them if i like. I also have some of those surgical pliers, except mine are extra long...come in real handy for those difficult to reach nose hairs....

redbloke1956

Non-VOC Member
I use clothes pegs for the same job, and i can even colour code them if i like. I also have some of those surgical pliers, except mine are extra long...come in real handy for those difficult to reach nose hairs....
Especially if the guy with long nose hairs is sitting way over the other side of the bus??.....

riptragle1953

Non-VOC Member
I also had from the medical things a long proctoscope with a bulb and mirror on the end with which one could examine any Vincent internals one could get to through a bore.... the thing was very thin .... so
easily check out the condition of a cylinder chamber for instance.