Timing Case Correction Jig

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
surgical pliers absolutely essential for the workshop I have straight and curved jaw ones all I need now is an old dentists drill set :)

NB somebody told me that some surgical tools are made from steel from the Scapa flow fleet scuppered after WW1 because any steel smelted since 1945 has an element of radioactivity in it... any truth?

bmetcalf

VOC Member
I would think that pre-war steel would have traces of radioactivity in it from the original iron ore. I've read that coal fired power plants emit more radioactive particles than a nuclear plant from traces in the coal.

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
surgical pliers absolutely essential for the workshop I have straight and curved jaw ones all I need now is an old dentists drill set :)

NB somebody told me that some surgical tools are made from steel from the Scapa flow fleet scuppered after WW1 because any steel smelted since 1945 has an element of radioactivity in it... any truth?

When I and several friends went diving in Scapa Flow in August of 2001 we heard a similar story. That being one of the uses of the recovered steel was as comparative samples for all sorts of testing equipment. The most high tech and top secret being in satellites. While we were there I bought all the books available and I think they even allude to these uses.
Steven

G

Graham Smith

Sally and I have also dived all those fantastic wrecks a number of times and have heard the same story.

It's said that Scapa Flow has the world's largest supply of steel that hasn't been contaminated with radiation.

Peter Stokes

VOC Member
Hi,

I believe that the Scapa Flow non-radioactive steel story is true. Right now I can see the part of the Flow where the German ships went down, from my office window! Was talking to a group of divers who had been diving yesterday, it seems they are a hardy lot who don't mind cold water.

Pete