"TIMETRAVELLER" wanted to know

riptragle1953

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
As we got way off subject on the suspension post I believe the moderator began deleting that not having to do with suspension. But I got an eMail with timetraveller's question which was where and how I knew i needed a 180 mph clock.
Like Mercedes using the Autobahn there were long stretches of smooth nearly straight stretches of lightly used highway above and below Oneonta, N.Y. (I-88) ..... few if any cops.
When it became apparent early in the test phase of this very abbynormal machine would make a 120 clock run out of numbers in third gear of a five speed box I knew more numbers were needed, yes, it indeed passed the 150 mark.
I am still trying to get Picasa to show full size.... so today I am trying something different.... it worked from here on both Safari and Chrome... you click the photo to see it big.
Speed was obtained thu redesigned cylinder heads.... oil cooled for one thing, judicious use of Dan Swain's fused ceramics (Swain worked for Newman's race team) and redesigned valve system.... and lots of other stuff.

Let me know if this works for you:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/102198595359647177099/albums/5801808675909943009

timetraveller

VOC Member
Thanks for that Rip. However, there are some of us still with delusions of youth and speed who would like to go faster so details of what you did, real details, would be gratefully received. For example the heads in the pictures have no squish (quench) bands, one plug heads and valve gear which might have ceramic stems and different collet grooves etc but otherwise looks to be pretty much the standard sizes. Roy Robertson, one of our go faster chaps over here, has all that and more and gets about 100 bhp at the rear wheel. Using a fibreglass copy of a 'George Brown' full front fairing he has had his bike up to about 170 mph with more to come, over a relatively short run in and run out. Clearly without the fairing he would have been slower. So Rip, we need your help and advice. Before you head towards that light at the end of the tunnel tell us what more we can do.

riptragle1953

Non-VOC Member
When I finished that machine there were four spiral notebooks full of the details of construction and drawings of special parts..... my huge collection of shop notes for all my machines were lost in my own little disaster.
You ask the impossible.....

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Dear Rip,
The posts by you and Sid where you were discussing con-rods were moved from the thread relating to suspension as they were clearly not relevant to that thread. They were moved to "Big Sid joins Forum" where Sid originally started talking about con-rods. Not a perfect solution but at least a little tidier. Vibrac asked who hijacked the suspension thread. Sid, being a fine fellow owned up.:)
As we got way off subject on the suspension post I believe the moderator began deleting that not having to do with suspension.

riptragle1953

Non-VOC Member
Oh, that's fine with me I know going off topic isn't the correct thing to but sometimes you just get carried away..... and, I wouldn't be annoyed if a really out-of-whack posting of mine was deleted.
Hey, those pictures are sneaky.... like where's Waldo or something. Like, how come the rocker bearing retainer doesn't have a top? Where does that little hole in the rocker oil feed bore go? Why?
Everything here is ceramic fused for heat dissipation, heat blockage, super slick wear surfaces and the intake ceramic increases flow. The main gain in power here is conservation and precision.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello Rip, The Mod' To put needle rollers on the Rockers, Do you still think they would be long lasting ?, I would have thought as all the thrust would be in one place, They would have a short life, But I like the look of them !, All The Best Bill.

Howard

VOC Member
You right Bill. Totally wrong application for a needle roller, but then, we all like taper roller steering head bearings, and they get shock loads as well. Sometimes we need to just look at the benefits. My racer had needle roller rockers, they did 4 seasons without a problem, but that's not much in touring terms.

H

riptragle1953

Non-VOC Member
It should be noticed that needle bearings of that size would not fit in a standard head bore. The "tunnel" and the bearing retainer are machined to EXACTLY the same size. The 3/8" slot is open from the top down. At the top of the slot is 45 degree
bevel into which slides a flat topped s/s matching wedge with with a small indexing hole dead center. The head is tapped through to the rocker bore and a special stud with a indexing pin holds the wedge and rocker retainer dead true. The retainer is
now tightened under compression forcing the assembly into 100% contact with the head bore ..... it becomes so tight I doubt you could move it with a hammer. The retaining stud is solid at this point as oil is fed to the head and valve gear where it will
much more good

Last edited: