Timed Breather

bmetcalf

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
My Rapide breather has an alloy sleeve in the pinion. If I wanted to change the timing less than 15 deg (one tooth), what is the best way to press out the sleeve - freeze it first?

riptragle1953

Non-VOC Member
Yes, I think so as the alloy will contract much more than the pinion.... go for dry ice if the home freezer doesn't do it. Good luck.... but truthfully I would use one of those add-on breathers over the mag plate on the timing cover.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
I believe my hydraulic damper would hit such a non-concours item. What I may really do is get the parts for the two disc friction damper and use my Ducati breather in that position.

peterg

Non-VOC Member
Howdy Bruce,

Or leave that nice dampener in place and fit this $5.00 item from Auto Zone. Read about it here.

Attachments

• vincentbreathermod.jpg
    vincentbreathermod.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 70

riptragle1953

Non-VOC Member
Actually, a "D" breather isn't so hot either as all the breathing that needs doing is restricted by that little cut-away on the upper guide.

A-BCD

Non-VOC Member
Actually, a "D" breather isn't so hot either as all the breathing that needs doing is restricted by that little cut-away on the upper guide.
But if you're going to use a D breather, cut a couple of crescent shaped pieces out of that upper guide !!

riptragle1953

Non-VOC Member
If you think about it we are speaking of a crankcase breather...... why make it such a torturous route in the first place when one can achieve much more efficient and direct flow with the simple six screw add on AT the crankcase?