Tighten the cylinder head

pete4000

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Thanks for those answers. I will re-tighten the heads probably a hundred miles after running with the bike. As Len said, it appears to be important to do this operation.

Tom Gaynor

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Metric torque, in newton-metres, is near as dammit 1/7 of real torque in lb-ft. 30 divided by seven...

Sid Biberman says it should be 28 lb-ft. That's what I used, or at least aimed for. It is important to grease the threads otherwise some of your torque goes not to stretching the stud, which is the purpose, but in overcoming friction in the threads.

A Newton is (numerically) a tenth of a kilogram, 0.22 lb(f...). It's easy to remember: a Newton is about the weight of an apple...stay out of the orchard in autumn...

Spare me force and mass discussions: I used three different force / mass systems in nine years at nightschool and my interest sort of dried up...

RedRyder

Non-VOC Member
Yes, re-torque at 500 miles puts one at ease, if nothing else. Could be fun to go 40k miles without the exercise, like Robert - I waited too long on one bike, and as a previous reply mentioned, the re-torque stopped the leak. I wonder, as an aside to Robert, if the Woolly was fitted with an o ring between muff and case? Word has it that o rings do well enough to forget about re-torque. I despise re-torque exercises but I would hate buying a lathe and learning how to use it, worse.

To Tom's formula remarks, I am down to: Three daily beers = 2 pounds extra in weight/week. Now, that's torque on your belt.

Robert Watson

VOC Member
Nah --- none of that fancy O ring stuff. Thin gaskets, proper gap at the head joint - torqued once. JRO 101 was done just the same, it's got 10 or 12K on it now and never retorqued.

Alan J

VOC Member
I just use a spanner about a foot long[300m.m for the young amongst us] and give it a goodly "heave!"- I used correct torque settings on my 500 A.J.S. and broke the blooming stud! :MAD:

John Cone

VOC Member
After about 4000 miles slackened off the steering head bracket & upper frame member, tightened down with a good qualtity open ended spanner.

nkt267

VOC Member
Got to catch a Crow first, then cut off it's foot? Hexagon footed Crows must be an endangered species. The RSPCA will be all over us like a rash:confused:..John