Misc: Everything Else Throw or keep?

danno

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I know one thing as certain as the dawn
If I throw something away the next day.....
Yes, exactly.
For the Vincent, it’s just getting to know what’s of value and what isn’t. I suppose any service parts, cables, nuts/bolts etc aren’t but are handy to have.
The pistons and liners were sort of in between.
I have the original Miller dynamo from the recent Alton fitting. Also an alloy casting/plate from when the Grosset starter was fitted.
A local knowledgeable chap bought some spares off me and gave some useful advice on what to hold onto. Eg, the original toolkit grease gun.

Shane998

Non-VOC Member
Yes, exactly.
For the Vincent, it’s just getting to know what’s of value and what isn’t. I suppose any service parts, cables, nuts/bolts etc aren’t but are handy to have.
The pistons and liners were sort of in between.
I have the original Miller dynamo from the recent Alton fitting. Also an alloy casting/plate from when the Grosset starter was fitted.
A local knowledgeable chap bought some spares off me and gave some useful advice on what to hold onto. Eg, the original toolkit grease gun.
You can never have enough grease guns
86A49E69-1405-4236-9F11-01C0A33EAE9A.jpeg
86A49E69-1405-4236-9F11-01C0A33EAE9A.jpeg

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I have made the "mistake " of getting rid of Vincent stuff,
It has cost me a lot of money down the years, Having to buy to replace !,
Nowadays with welding etc a lot can be repaired, If you have an old part it may get you out of trouble ?,
Or to use as a pattern ?,
You may need that single lever if you ever go manual ignition ?.

vibrac

VOC Member
Best reuse I have is an old Royal Enfield neutral gearbox lever (heaven knows on an Albion box you need one) just fits the lever spindle on my armchair foot rest control

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Some Magneto's are manual advance and retard, I have one on my Comet and had one on my L/ning,
I don't like the Auto , ATD, The ears can come off etc, but that's just me.

Denny653

VOC Member
I attend a number of antique motorcycle swap meets during the year, and have been for 40 years now. I am always wondering if some people know what a dumpster is for...

Oldhaven

VOC Member
I am hesitant to throw away or give away/sell some of the old rusted original fasteners I have from years of ownership. I have a lot of them in cans. This is especially true of the ones with tiny part numbers stamped on them. As recently discussed on here, some future owner may want to replace the SS ones I mostly use with original replated items to get things back to “as it left the factory”.