Misc: Carburettors Throttle Slide Needle

oexing

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Don´t get the priorities wrong: First you do your carb work for correct mixtures in all speed ranges. Instead of lots of uneducated guesses about what may work , have an oxygen sensor at next to no costs in the exhaust pipe , a heated type, so not critical with placement along the tube. You can place it in a hidden spot for later plugging it. Hook a small volt meter with two digits right of comma for 0-5 V readings on the sensor, 0.6 - 0.7 V is great, above 0.8 V is rich, below 0.5 V too weak. . Chrome will not be spoiled when doing a TIG weld on the M 18x1.5 insert, so no excuse for trying to ignore it and continuing your old guesswork with poor results. Only then you will find your grade of spark plug that keeps clean with YOUR type of motoring. For autobahns you will change for a cooler type certainly but this would be not the typical environment of Vincents today I guess ?
So a black spark plug may just tell you having the wrong grade from handbooks not suitable to your riding, not a tell-tale for correct carb setting.

Vic

plugged adapter on Horex ex tube in center :

P1030172.JPG

moto8500

VOC Member
Thank you Bill and I have viewed 246 in a 1952 lightning set up complete with period leathers and boots and all one can say is wow - Jack Ehret you have found your match. Being a big capacity v twin it's no surprise the Vincents are a bit oily. Mine is a new engine which I have just run in so everything is tight and I had been running on brownish deposits at the electrode but now things have bedded down a bit in the carb/engine department it is time to do some fettling to get to reset things and the thread has been extremely useful to know what issues I have to bear in mind in order achieve this.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I hope you have an Hydraulic steering damper on it,
If yours has Girdraulics ?.
Well worth it, I think.
Good Luck, Bill.