throttle/choke/clutch/decompressor cables-best routes?

1660bob

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi All,building a basket case, so no idea what the accepted practice is for routing the above cables uner the tank. In particular, the throttle cables :does the splitter box reside on the offside or nearside of the oil tank? How does clip FT183- work-mine appears to be a simple flat strip bent into a `j` and with the FT184 screw done up tight the clip does not hold the junction box at all-(other than by gravity)it seems to have no fastening ability at all?? Does FT183 point outwards, or inwards- to hold the splitter box in the space between the oil tank lower front edge and the recess in the steering casting? I have what seems to be an original throttle cable, but the adjuster for the rear carb is some 3-4" from the carb top and thus ideally would be between fuel tank inner wall and oil tank but its too narrow a gap there and the adjuster gets trapped ???? Any info appreciated, cheers, Bob .

Len Matthews

VOC Member
Bob, Quite a lot of us these days don't use the throttle cable junction box. Instead we use a twin pull twist grip. This gives a smoother run for the cables and simplifies carb synchronisation. But to answer your question the clip goes inwards on the offside in the position you describe and there should be another clip on the nearside to secure the wiring harness. The rear carb cable adjuster you refer to usually sits above the rear cylinder head feed oil pipe.

1660bob

VOC Member
Thanks Len, I have noted many Vinnie`s with the twin pull set up but thus far I am on an "originality" trip, but now I am beginning to see why the twin pull set up is favoured so frequently...... Cheers, Bob

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
There was a good reason for the original design.The junction box puts the cables where they cannot be differentially altered by movements of the handlebars and consequent individual movement of each cable,which thereby alters slide position. My 1988 Moto Guzzi has the same feature,so maybe there is logic behind the design.KTB says "provided the junction box is anchored to the clip mentioned previously, as intended by the makers."How you do it might involve some finagling!Good Luck.