Throttle cables

macvette

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi,

Has anyone fitted the the elbows to the top of their carbs which are available from the spares co. as part no.HB15. My bike is a D with Amal monoblocs.
If you have, how much do they project from the top of the carbs and was it necessary to lengthen the cables?

Thanks Mac

riptragle1953

Non-VOC Member
I've never seen them.... but how tight is the bend? That would influence my decision to use them our not as tight bends
can add a lot of friction..... although my reply is from rigging camera cables.

nkt267

VOC Member
Got mine for the Comet from Johnson's cables,nylon lined I think. I'll measure the radius tomorrow if I remember..John

B

Bikersally

Can't comment on a D but using these on a twin with a b tank turned into a cluster.Couldn't re-fit the tank.
Should be ok on a c with the larger cut out.

davidd

VOC Member
I have made my own out of brass and you will have to buy a die for the thread. Alternatively, Barnett used to make one, but I think it is discontinued. It is in stock at certain suppliers, but I do not know the thread size. Finally, almost every scooter shop has these around because they are used liberally on scooters. I have cut the thread off and re-threaded if it is long enough. Sometimes you can solder them into the existing carb cable ferrule.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0X6AV5FWYRJ4TCSKWENA

David

greg brillus

VOC Member
Yes they do work well, just fitted some with new 229/289 carb's to a Shadow, only they wont sit as a pair on the throttle and air slides. So i chose to use them on the air slides only and just the plain cable on the throttles, which worked out fine...

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
I fitted them to my throttle cables at both ends, carb and twist grip, I got them from a bicycle shop and made my cables up from bicycle gear change cables. They are much smoother in operation for it. I have Mikunis fitted so I had to make up my own cables for them. Until I did that the tight bends made them rather heavy to operate. I would recommend doing it.
Steven

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
Made my own "bent adaptors " with a peice of kunifer brake pipe aimed at a car system. Made -up the cables to suit. Works real smooth, aint enough o's in smooth! And it all clears the underside of the tank.