Throttle cable lengths

greg brillus

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Original Junction box split cab set up is also nice and neat, but does take some considerable set up time, even with the Voc spares cable kit you still have to finish each cable yourself (different handle bars 276 v's 289's ) it all makes a difference, I prefer to make my own and much easier now after all these years I finally know what I'm doing..............:D.............Front carb cable runs not an issue so long as you don't squash the cables as the tank is lowered into place.

timetraveller

VOC Member
The problem I always found was with petrol tanks with the smaller Rapide carb cutaway. Trying to get the cable to stay between the oil tank and the inner face of the tunnel in the petrol tank, and then bend round to enter the top of the carb is time consuming and tricky. Of course, it could just be me.:eek:

vibrac

VOC Member
I should say why I passed on route of cables old or new was because I long ago opted for a twin pull twist grip.
Somewhere in the long grass of Brands Hatch paddock is what I later called a 'Super impractic' single pull twist grip whose wonderful solution to the twistgrip coil round the drum was an elegant chain which I thought was the bees knees till it snapped when I was in a very good position vis a vis a early Norton Commando. It does seem to me sometimes that you gain knowledge in direct proportion to your loss of youth-full ability

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
The 90 degree bend is ,I find, easily achieved with a piece of 3/16 copper brake tube. Another piece of 1/4 tube soldered to the cable end gives the cable ferrule some where comfy to sit. Made one yesterday for the comdom, took around an hour all up. Used nylon lined bicycle brake cable. A meter of inner and outer plus 6 ferrules cost just short of a tenner. And it's really neat. "all done in the best possible taste"

Steve G

Non-VOC Member
The 90 degree bend is ,I find, easily achieved with a piece of 3/16 copper brake tube. Another piece of 1/4 tube soldered to the cable end gives the cable ferrule some where comfy to sit. Made one yesterday for the comdom, took around an hour all up. Used nylon lined bicycle brake cable. A meter of inner and outer plus 6 ferrules cost just short of a tenner. And it's really neat. "all done in the best possible taste"
Can you name a source for the materials? And maybe a photo of your finely crafted creation? Never made a cable in my life but would love to learn how.

Nulli Secundus

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator

greg brillus

VOC Member
I bought one of those tools, expensive but the best money spent. Best for making clutch and brake cables where the ends are critical, so quick and easy. You could make your own but the tool is hardened steel and very tough. Used it many times now, a definite if you make cables often, best advantage is you end up with cables of the right length, which adds up to a very neat job.

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
The problem I always found was with petrol tanks with the smaller Rapide carb cutaway. Trying to get the cable to stay between the oil tank and the inner face of the tunnel in the petrol tank, and then bend round to enter the top of the carb is time consuming and tricky. Of course, it could just be me.:eek:
You can get your grandmother's 36" bootlace and contrive a loop to hold the cable next the oil tank such that a sharp tug will free the loop when everything is working; or you can cheat and use very long cable ties around the oil tank and leave them in position permanently. All our Concours judges are too old to bend down and look under the tank anyway. Ask Bananaman how to do the knot. Assemble the cable in the carburettor first, with the adjuster half open, then work toward the throttle. Keep the inner cable steady with a blob of Blu-tak or similar.