Throttle cable lengths

Paul Williams

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi All
can anyone please help with a problem i have ?
I am looking for the original factory lengths of the 1x2 throttle cables on a 1951 Rapide. This bike has the original twist grip and 276 carbs. The original splitter box will also be used.

the cables i have at the moment have been butchered and made up from a variety of odds and sods that they are not a good place to start from.
Many thanks
Paul

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I would come at it from the other way
1. what is the correct position for the standard throttle cables ie where were they clamped and where did they run?
2 make the cables to fit your bike
alternative: just place an order with the spares Co

Gene Nehring

VOC Member
Hi All
I am looking for the original factory lengths of the 1x2 throttle cables on a 1951 Rapide. This bike has the original twist grip and 276 carbs. The original splitter box will also be used.

the cables i have at the moment have been butchered and made up from a variety of odds and sods that they are not a good place to start from.
Many thanks
Paul

Hi Paul,

I have a set of original cables at home. I will see if I can find lengths. I know that Robert Watson also has a very original bike that he is working on right now (bike has only been in one family). He might be able to help also.

Best,

Eugene.

Paul Williams

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi All

Many thanks
Paul

Paul Williams

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi Vibrac
Thanks for the reply
Any help on the correct cable routing would be a great help.
Thanks Genedn
All info will be very useful.
Thanks
Paul

vibrac

VOC Member
I have done a quick search here as I am sure it has been discussed in detail I found one about the comet cable routings but did not succeed. I also seem to remember that some of the original factory photos leave cables in mid air as tanks and other items were Photoshop ed in 60 years before Photoshop
I am sure someone here with more minutiae knowledge than me will regale us all soon ... Please

timetraveller

VOC Member
Not wanting to put you off going for originality here but the original layout had the cylindrical junction box strapped to the front right hand side of the UFM. This meant that the cable run to the front carb went under the oil tank and had a less than optimal bend in it as it lead into the carb. With modern lined cable outers it should be possible to get a nice cable movement but years ago it was never easy.

Albervin

VOC Member
Two choices here, original or workable. Original cables were a heavy cloth covered striped arrangement that could stick open. Modern, teflon coated cables can be routed
more efficiently. Twin pull cables can be tuned more easily. Take your choice and go with it. Is that three choices?

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
Personally, I'm in favour of the original arrangement. Yes I have owned Twins, and rode a Guzzi with twin carbs. and a junction box for twenty years. You can get the original carburettors spot-on with a couple of 3/8" drill bits stuck under the slides.. Because of the junction box you do not get differential movement between the inner and outer over two arcs 0f cable. You can get nifty 90 degree metal adaptor tubes off Japanese cables to make the cable entry to the mixing chamber top tidier, teflon cables are good stuff. The factory specifically put the rear cable adjuster where it couldn't be mooked abhart wiv. easily. This should tell us somethink. Use the right little flat-headed screw (FT184) on the junction box clip.