Three Piece Crank -Ebay UK

A_HRD

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Anybody know anything about these cranks or the manufacturer? I assume each flywheel is machined in one piece along with its mainshaft. That's a lot of swarf!

Ebay Item 220774057450

Although Coyote886 has had 3 offers - he still hasn't sold any of his ten available. £750 is a lot. Then again, its only 10 fill-ups of the family car!

Regards,

Peter B
Bristol, UK.

Black Flash

VOC Member
Hi Pete,
you are definately right. I was hooning my TVR the last couple of days in glorious sunshine and averaged 16 mpg.
Cost me more than having my magneto rewound! ( Don't tell Sean)

Off to Menorca tonight, will write you an email when I see rain forcast in England :p

cheers
Bernie

Diogenes

Non-VOC Member
Thread: Three Piece Crank -Ebay UK

From
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/220774057450?...57450&_sacat=See-All-Categories&_fvi=1&_rdc=1

"THE MAIN CRANK PIN IS PRESSED IN TO THE FLYWHEELS AND NOT TAPERED FIT. A GOOD QUALITY LOCAL ENGINEERING WORK SHOP COULD PRESS CRANK PIN OUT ON DRIVE SIDE ONLY. AND FIT NEW OR USED CON RODS,PRESS FLYWHEEL BACK ON TO CRANK PIN AND CHECK TO SEE IF ALIGNMENT IS TRUE WITH TWO DIAL GAGES."

This seems odd, instructing the user to remove the drive side flywheel in order to fit the rods.
As the drive side is more highly loaded I would have thought it better to leave the drive side undisturbed. And just remove/refit the timing side flywheel for rod installation. Maybe there is some feature we have not been told about?

mercurycrest

VOC Member
From
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/220774057450?...57450&_sacat=See-All-Categories&_fvi=1&_rdc=1

"THE MAIN CRANK PIN IS PRESSED IN TO THE FLYWHEELS AND NOT TAPERED FIT. A GOOD QUALITY LOCAL ENGINEERING WORK SHOP COULD PRESS CRANK PIN OUT ON DRIVE SIDE ONLY. AND FIT NEW OR USED CON RODS,PRESS FLYWHEEL BACK ON TO CRANK PIN AND CHECK TO SEE IF ALIGNMENT IS TRUE WITH TWO DIAL GAGES."

This seems odd, instructing the user to remove the drive side flywheel in order to fit the rods.
As the drive side is more highly loaded I would have thought it better to leave the drive side undisturbed. And just remove/refit the timing side flywheel for rod installation. Maybe there is some feature we have not been told about?

For a "Brand New, Unused crank, Still in Original Package, etc...." Wasn't it clever of the Factory to Pre-Wear the nut on the pin so when the bearings come loose they won't do what has already been done to the nut?
I can't imagine an assembled crank w/o rods being sold by anyone, especally a factory.
Buyer Be Ware! Cheers, John

Last edited: