Three-in-one

Tony Cording

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Am I allowed to ask three questions in one thread? Not sure, but let's live dangerously.

1) Ewarts taps. I have a pair, corks are in great shape, but just a little loose. Soak in water or petrol?

2) Do we know who the stern looking gent is riding the vintage BMW in the ASI Moto Show ad wearing a pudding basin with a Vincent scroll?

3) I.O.M. T.T. - A local topic of conversation surrounded what was the fastest time put up by a Grey Flash or Comet in the Isle of Man, a) during the factory years, who was he, what year, what was his time, and what was the winners time, and b) same questions for after the factory closed.

Thanks as always.

Tony Cording

bmetcalf

VOC Member
#3 - Do you have access to 'Vincents in the IOM by David Wright'? It is pretty thorough. I'll look at my copy.

Ian Savage

VOC Vice President
VOC Member
Tony
I have heard it tell that soaking in hot water swells up the cork, not tried it myself so can't confirm.
Ian S

deejay499

VOC Member
Tony. The old taps were adjustable by either screw or turning the inner end to expand the corks.
Dave

Alan J

VOC Member
Later taps are only riveted and so are non adjustable-hot water helps-but in the end I resorted to modern "air line" type taps-leak proof, but not "original" {shame on me!}:(:(

donrapide

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
As to 1) I've used Castor Oil to soak the corks before fitting. This is the Castor Oil you can buy in Chemists. It does seem to help but the life of cork taps is not very good anyway.

Bracker1

VOC Member
Don't know if your intersested in replacing corks, but there is a company selling on EBAY (USA), Item number: 350177848185, which converts the cork to a rubber seal. Looks kind of nifty. Cheers, Dan

Vinthou

Active Forum User
VOC Member
I used to soak my corks in petrol, which worked for a while. Then I discovered that with the riveted type one can 'expand' the cork by placing the plunger assembly in a vice and tighten just a hair - the rivet will move a little further into the "handle" end.

Tony Cording

VOC Member
Three in one

Mnay thanks for the responses on the Ewarts tap question, I will try the various cork soaking suggestions, but if they don't work the e bay kit looks great.

Thanks again for the help..

Tony Cording