PD: Primary Drive Three-gear primary drive (Irving Vincent)

BigEd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
True, but we're still in the primary, haven't moved too far...:)

Glen
You are right Glen, it hasn't moved far. It is a good conversation so I've tidied it up a little and moved the belt drive bits, ratios and torque a little farther to a thread of their own. :cool:

vinhrd998

VOC Member
Hence the possible need for the hollow gear and increasing the speed of rotation of the alternator
Would a hollow gear be the same as a planetary gear?
Same as used in many starter motors, but the other way around i.e. reducing not increasing speed (rpm).

1585756038114.png

Attachments

• 1585754985944.png
    1585754985944.png
    10.5 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

timetraveller

VOC Member
I was thinking of something simpler than a planetary gear. Imagine a 2"/50mm PCD gear on the engine main shaft with the teeth pointing inwards. This can be made very strong and possibly fastened on to the first drive gear. Then imagine an alternator, mounted onto the primary chain cover in such a way that sliding the primary cover on slides the gear on the alternator shaft into mesh with the larger gear. The alternator shaft gear would have a gear with outwards facing teeth with a PCD of 1"/25 mm. Please note that these values are for example only and the gears might need to be made larger for strength or other reasons. This would rotate the alternator at double the engine speed and have the added advantage that the alternator and its wiring are fixed to the primary drive cover. It would also allow the alternator to be moved to the rear a little this getting round the possible restriction of the diameter of the original crank case casting at the front of the primary drive. I have not drawn this up with CAD but until I do then I cannot see where any problems would lie. It might be thought that driving the alternator gear from only one side might cause problems but that is exactly what happens in gearboxes and on the original dynamo drive. I am happy to exchange ideas and accept criticism.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
I had been wondering the same sort of thing could be used to drive an alternator in the magneto position. Another thought just occurred to me, could an electronic ignition magnet be incorporated into one of the cam wheels with the pickups mounted on the steady plate ?