• Welcome to the website of the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club.

Should you have any questions relating to the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club, or Vincent H.R.D. motorcycles in general, please contact Graham Smith, Hon. Editor and Webmaster by calling 07977 001 025 or please CLICK HERE.

You are unrecognised, and therefore, only have VERY restricted access to the many features of this website.

If you have previously registered to use this forum, you should log in now. CLICK HERE.

If you have never registered to use this website before, please CLICK HERE.

Thought for the day

ClassicBiker

Well Known and Active Website User
VOC Member
You post things like that and laugh, but I had a manager once who for awhile was calling hour long meetings every other hour to find out how the work was progressing and if other department engineers were or were not co-operating with us. If they were great and if they weren't what we intended to do about it, and no he wasn't going to throw his weight behind us. I lasted on that about year and called it good.
Steven

MartynG

VOC Member
You post things like that and laugh, but I had a manager once who for awhile was calling hour long meetings every other hour to find out how the work was progressing and if other department engineers were or were not co-operating with us. If they were great and if they weren't what we intended to do about it, and no he wasn't going to throw his weight behind us. I lasted on that about year and called it good.
Steven
When working - as a contractor - for the Postal Authorities in Australia (a government body) in the late 1990's I was given the job of arranging a National Conference of senior IT managers. It was planned to run for two days with those from other states staying overnight. For some of them it involved each way travel of up to 6 hours. Well it was impossible to get a consensus from all involved as to when to hold it there was alway at least one of the seven who would/could not agree on a date.

My manager (a long time government employee) came up with a solution that he implemented. He flew all 9 of them into Melbourne for a ONE day meeting that had the SOLE objective of setting the date for the TWO day meeting of the same group!

Result - decision NOT to hold the 2 day meeting. Government at work - not!

Robert Watson

VOC Member
I have a close relative who, in his teenage youth decided it would be cool (Mid 60's -- and NO it wasn't me but someone slightly older) to make a necklace from .22 bullet. Knowing full well that the charge had been removed he put it loosely in the vice and started in with the soldering iron. The bullet just grazed the fat meaty bit of his hand just below the thumb and lodged in the wall. My Sister was in the room, at that time aged 8 or 9. He did get interviewed by the police whilst at the hospital getting a stitch or two. This is a person even today who brags of his allegedly rather high IQ! Or not!!!!

Normski

VOC Member
I have a close relative who, in his teenage youth decided it would be cool (Mid 60's -- and NO it wasn't me but someone slightly older) to make a necklace from .22 bullet. Knowing full well that the charge had been removed he put it loosely in the vice and started in with the soldering iron. The bullet just grazed the fat meaty bit of his hand just below the thumb and lodged in the wall. My Sister was in the room, at that time aged 8 or 9. He did get interviewed by the police whilst at the hospital getting a stitch or two. This is a person even today who brags of his allegedly rather high IQ! Or not!!!!
There’s not necessarily a strong correlation between IQ and common sense

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
Pop and no kick are no fun. In another life I certified as a range safety officer for my unit when we went to the range at Ft. Knox. I was running the small arms range, a friend of mine was running the AT-4 range one day. It's bad enough when a rifle or carbine doesn't behave but things get real and fast when an anti-tank weapon doesn't function. They didn't have any issues with the training weapon which fires a 9mm pistol cartridge and are notorious for failing. When it came time to fire the real deal, it wouldn't launch. He and the troop he was over seeing suddenly realized that they now had a highly explosive device that had failed function and could change its mind at anytime without warning or provocation. The range had to be cleared of the other troops while the troop with the weapon had to keep the weapon pointed down range until EOD arrived and took charge of it and destroyed in place.

Cyborg

VOC Member
A fellow I know was firing a revolver and had a pop & no kick. He decided to just pull the trigger again to rotate over to the next round. This usually cautious fellow didn't realize that he was snoozing on the assembly line. When doing the reloads, he pressed in the slug, but had forgotten the powder. Anyhow... the pop was just the primer, but it had just enough grunt to push the slug out of the cartridge and halfway up the barrel. When he fired off the next round, things didn't go so well, but he wasn't seriously hurt. The revolver is now on display at the range as a reminder to the other folk. It looks like something out of a cartoon.

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
A fellow I know was firing a revolver and had a pop & no kick. He decided to just pull the trigger again to rotate over to the next round. This usually cautious fellow didn't realize that he was snoozing on the assembly line. When doing the reloads, he pressed in the slug, but had forgotten the powder. Anyhow... the pop was just the primer, but it had just enough grunt to push the slug out of the cartridge and halfway up the barrel. When he fired off the next round, things didn't go so well, but he wasn't seriously hurt. The revolver is now on display at the range as a reminder to the other folk. It looks like something out of a cartoon.
I bet it does. Pop no kick, rod the the barrel to make sure there are no obstructions. Fortunately when I've been the shooter the misfire has been because the primer has been seated to deeply and the firing pin didn't impart enough energy. I still wait 2-3 minutes and check the barrel, even if it doesn't even pop.