FF: Forks Thornton front shocker

Nigel Spaxman

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I put the AVO one on my twin. It is a way better ride than the modified original type I had before. The damping on the AVO is adjustable by a little screw.

Oldhaven

VOC Member
I happen to have my Thornton front shock apart on my work bench right now, though it is a coil over version. I also have the same manual from 6/97. Reading it carefully it seems that the difference in front and rear shock damping, at least in ‘97, was in the rebound damping only. The compression was controlled by 3 springs of different lengths and strengths controlling 3 ball bearings in orifices. While it does not say so specifically, it implies there were no variations in this valving front and rear. The difference is in the rebound damping and is controlled by flapper valve discs of either .010” or .015” thickness, with the thicker disc resistance being equal to three thin ones. My front shock has three of the thinner .010 discs.

Dave, it may be that you can modify the one you have by following the instructions in the manual and checking what flapper valves are fitted to the piston and decreasing the resistance they offer to rebound by removing one. It also warns in the manual that if the internal nut on the piston loosens, the discs can rotate and block the holes, partially locking up the damper, and the same effect is possible if it is overfilled.

I also notice that the recommendation for 5 wt oil is crossed out and 10 wt is handwritten in. I wonder about that.

Last edited:

Chris Launders

VOC Member
While doing some of the Road testing for the JE steering stem I was testing dampers back to back and in my opinion the Thornton was marginally better than the AVO, but not really enough to warrant the extra cost and of course they are no longer made. When the bearing conversion is done totally different damping is needed so the Thornton would be no good then.
Chris.

Oldhaven

VOC Member
I have mentioned this elsewhere, but while Works Performance is gone, this company was formed by former employees. They seem to be more interested in off road and modern bikes, but they might be able to supply internal piston replacement parts for the Vincent Thorntons if you have a good one that needs a change in tuning. It may be worth a call or email.

Gary Gittleson

VOC Member
While doing some of the Road testing for the JE steering stem I was testing dampers back to back and in my opinion the Thornton was marginally better than the AVO, but not really enough to warrant the extra cost and of course they are no longer made. When the bearing conversion is done totally different damping is needed so the Thornton would be no good then.
I am using the JE steering stem with my Thornton shock. Seems fine to me.

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
The advice in the video re speed wobbles is bullshit, no matter the origin of the advice. Having had a proper speed wobble, as opposed to a head shake, then it is not a matter of taking one's hands off the handlebars. The speed and violence of the motion is such that there is no way one could hold on to the handlebars. Mine occurred at one hundred mph on the long straight at Cadwell Park. The amount of kinetic energy of a total mass of, say, six hundred pounds at one hundred mph which is then being converted into oscillations is such that no normal human being, or a friction damper, will be able to control it.
A 'proper' speed wobble at 70 MPH was sufficient to shatter my right wrist and bend the bars on the right side. Bike off in one direction, me in another. Both bike n I landed and slid on left hand side. No damage at all to the right side of my clothing or right glove but as I said right wrist shattered.

No damage at all on right side of bike other than handle bar bent forward on that side.

Forces were unbelievable.

At time bike was fitted with friction damper - now has hydraulic steering damper AND the JE head stem. Still some minor headshake on uneven corners but all quickly damped.