SP: Spring Boxes (Rear) Thornton coil over spring rate.

davidd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Thanks, David

The next step up in the Works Performance springs is 300 lbs. It is 7.2" free length, 0.341" wire diameter, 9.3 coils and the ID is 1.75". I was hoping there might be a 280 lbs, but there is not. I found a spring on line, but it is 6" free length, which is probably not of help.

David

Dave Hulstone

VOC Member
Now I know I’m running the same as most twins out there I feel I can make it work. I have plenty of preload left to play with. I have my friction dampers completely wound off? David, on a completely different topic, which cams have you ended up running in your Grey Flash, Megacycle?

davidd

VOC Member
I ran a large lift cam that Megacycle makes for me. On David Tompkins racer I had clearance problems after I built the engine. The big lift cam caused the rocker to kiss the valve guide under power.

David's first engine (not the one I built) started with the 105 cam which lowered his BHP to about 26. He went back to the MK2 and got the power back to about 30. I told him to build a Gold Star exhaust system with a megaphone and it went to 34 BHP. When he put my engine into the bike it went to 37 BHP. Recently, he tried a different primary pipe (1-3/4" instead of 1-5/8") on the bike and got 38 BHP. Using the megaphone pushed the red line to 6700 RPM, which was nice.

I have been very impressed with the Megacycle Mk2 as a result. It is difficult to get all of this power on the street, but it showed me that the Mk2 is still an excellent cam.

David

Comet Rider

VOC Member
David D and Dave H
1.75" ID is quite a common size used by many manufacturers including Ohlins etc for twin shock setups.
There maybe someone in Aus who can help you with alternative springs.

On my AVO as I'm a big fat bloke I ended up with a 300lb/in spring for my Rapide, which is heavier than the normal spec'd by Timetraveller/Hadron who did much of the development work

A point to note is that the AVO uses a 2" ID spring

All the best
Neil

Comet Rider

VOC Member
Hi Bill,
I'm no expert, but the way I understand it is that soft spring high damping will not do you any favours as it makes the shock too rigid.
You need the right spring rate for your weight + plus luggage and moderate damping so the spring takes the hit and the damper smooths it out, also restricting rebound

bmetcalf

VOC Member
This is the letter that Dave Molloy sent me with my coilover shock:

Malloy Instructions a.jpg