This forum website

G

Graham Smith

As some of you may know, I'm currently rebuilding Joshua's RD125DX and in doing so, I've have signed up to another forum site and am currently asking their 'experts' loads of stupid questions - you know - the sort of questions that get asked by new members on here all the time.

One thing has stood out for me though - loads of other forum websites out there are absolute rubbish compared to the software we're using here. On the Yamaha website, it's clearly done on the cheap, and although it 'sort of' works, it comes nowhere close to what we've got here.

We're really lucky that the Club agreed to fund this forum back in 2007.

Long may it continue.

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I could not agree more Graham I am not one for social media but I do like forums, I am a member of at least 5 forums cars, motorcycles MC sport and software and there are three things that stand out for me about this forum.
1. The software is second to none it is the best I have found
2. The depth of information here is outstanding and the advice (Including MPH and that from members like Big Sid who are sadly no longer with us) is second to none and easily searchable.
3 And most importantly the behavior of the members and the interplay between them is outstanding with mutual respect. In the ten years or so I have been involved I think only 1 member has been curtailed just pop into some other forums and the atmosphere is quite chilling.
I think we all know that the club is looking at revising the computer use within the club and I think that is a good thing nobody needs to reivent the wheel nowadays I for one are happy to see the club web site (Which I was the first webmaster of) the internal club sytems, the membership and the regalia/club shop change I am sure there is better software out there, but one thing is clear for all those three reasons above I dont want this forum to change and especially not for the third reason because that involves a word I dont use often but its appropriate here,this is a delicate ecosystem and like the Amazon rain forest once its burnt down you cant replace it or replant it.

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
I belong to this forum and three other forums. This is only one that I log into everyday and read every thread. I even read those that I have no interest in just to see if there might be some useful information to be learned. Through out my workday I pop in and see what is new and interesting.
This is by far the most interesting forum and the politest one. I would also note the most secure one. Of the other three I belong to, one is under constant attack by hackers, scammers, and trolls. If these terms in their internet context are foreign to you, thank Graham for that.
I think of this forum as the gold standard by which I judge other forums. Unfortunately for the world at large none come close to this one.
You do an excellent job Graham, keep it up, it is appreciated.

kerry

VOC Member
I like this forum and appreciate the help it has given me, tonight I've been out on the Prince with its now wider and better handlebars and new wide muffs, very pleased, nice to ride, all classic bike owners should try one! Kerry.

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Graham Smith

Thanks for your praise everyone. I certainly didn’t put my initial post looking for it, but it is very much appreciated.

The developers are currently beta testing the very latest version of the forum software (which I’ve had a go on) and we’ll upgrade once it’s proved to be stable. There are a number of enhancements and improvements that will prove useful including a much improved text editor facility that you’ll see when you post threads and posts.

There are many other stability improvements, enhancements, and security updates, but one of the best and biggest is to improve the browsing experience if you visit the forum on a mobile device such as a tablet or mobile phone. This is quite a big one.

As I say, we’ll upgrade once they finish their beta testing and it’s proved to be stable.