They are still out there!

Albervin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Just back from helping a new member purchase his first Vincent. We found one too. A bit "untidy" but it goes! It will need a cosmetic restoration as it has not been used since 1990 and that was but a short ride. The bike is unknown to the VOC except that it was dispatched from the factory on Dec. 3rd 1947 and landed in South Australia on Dec. 31st. 1947. It has been owned by the previous owner since 1960 and appears to have been in Adelaide all of its life. All matching numbers with the original Bramptons. Now a question. It has a genuine Vincent/Miller 6 1/2" (or 7"?) headlight. Surely it should have an 8" but then why change it to the smaller one? The switch is correct as is the reflector, lens and rim but there is no ammeter. I am guessing it should have a type 75/832 Lighthouse unit but will welcome any input from those more knowledgeable than me. Original multi link gear change and pressed steel drums are on it but will be discarded and stored since the bike is going to be ridden. Oh yes, it still has the brake cable going to the RIGHT hand side of the balance beam as per original and the 5" speedo has a very tatty drive cable that may indicate it is original too. I will suggest to the owner he applies to the VOC to see if the original build sheet is on file. As I said to some friends before departing; I am going hunting for a Snark but I hope to find a Vincent! Success!

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
re-headlamp, reading back issues of mph one mans memories by ted davis , i get the impression that vincents fitted whatever the accessory manufacturers could supply at the time. remember it was less than two years since the war ,material shortages caused lots of problems , hence lots of "strange" bits found their way onto the product they were desperate to sell.

passenger0_0

Non-VOC Member
Really pleased to hear that there are still bikes to be found out there but just a thought on the comment from Albertvin:

"Original multi link gear change and pressed steel drums are on it but will be discarded and stored since the bike is going to be ridden."

I run my bike with both of these and have no problems with either. Gear change linkage works fine and I've found that open weave band brake material works OK with the pressed steel drums. Yes I do ride accordingly but I just wanted to put it out there that you don't have to 'upgrade' and lose original features if you intend to use your bike.
Cheers
David

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
As I mentioned earlier, in Peter Carrick's Book 'Vincent-HRD' the frontispiece photograph dated 1948 (supplied by Ted Davis) shows approximately 25 Series B Rapides awaiting dispatch. In the row of nine in the foreground, five have ally guards, four have touring guards, five have eight inch headlights, including one with a flat glass diffused lens, and four have six and a half inch headlights. Perhaps 1947 had a similar mix.

Rapide

VOC Member
How about posting a picture of the bike so we can see what an exciting find you made, it would be great to see.
thanks

Albervin

VOC Member
OK Mr Bore:p, I suppose when I wrote original I meant it isn't a repro item recently fitted. I guess the speedo was fitted in the 50s since the previous owner said he had it serviced when he bought it. He also had ALL the receipts for everything he had done to the bike since he bought it. David, maybe you can send me a pm with the brand/part number of the brake linings.

clevtrev

VOC Member
OK Mr Bore:p, I suppose when I wrote original I meant it isn't a repro item recently fitted. I guess the speedo was fitted in the 50s since the previous owner said he had it serviced when he bought it. He also had ALL the receipts for everything he had done to the bike since he bought it. David, maybe you can send me a pm with the brand/part number of the brake linings.
If, as you say the owner had ALL the receipts, for everything, why would you guess ?

Albervin

VOC Member
Because I haven't read them. It was a hectic day, they had a yapping dog that wanted to lick my groin, it was tipping down with rain and it was Adelaide! It was up to the new owner to check everything in the folder. My responsibility was to check over the bike and come up with a figure for the renovation.